Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Tribute To Some Mother's In My Life

This is my little tribute to some of the mothers that I know. I am a better mother for knowing you all.

Mom: This is the one lady that has influenced my life more than any other. She doesn't take credit for doing such a great job of raising David and I. She raised us by herself. She struggled to fight the system that said that David couldn't be the amazing college graduate, holding a fabulous job, awesome father that he turned out to be just because he was deaf. She made mistakes in her life, but she taught me that you are defined by how well you pick yourself up and learn from your mistakes rather than how well you wallow in your own self pity. When things got rough for us financially, she never gave up. She found a way to provide for us what was needed before she met my Dad who gave us a new life. In her marriage with my Dad, she has shown me what a marriage to a good man could be like. She never let the bad things that happened to her in her life cloud her happiness with living today. I am a much better, stronger, more understanding, patient, loving person for having my mother in my life.

Laura: You are an amazing mother. You work so hard to be everything that you can be to Dylan and Ryan. You give them 100% of yourself at all times. The boys will be all that they could ever possibly be because of you being there and helping them along the way. You are creative, fun, energetic, artistic and I sometimes envy your ability to think up such wonderful things to do with the kids. You have always, always been the most wonderful aunt to Katya. You have made sure that Katya has no doubt in her mind that you love and adore her. And I am sure that Ginger feels that same way about your relationship with Danae. You only need to stop and take some time for yourself more often.

Ginger: What a fabulous aunt and mother you are! Diana and Danae couldn't be more lucky to have you for their mother. You are a very warm, loving, grounded and realistic parent and that is helping your daughters to grow up strong and independent. They will always know that you are there for them and be a safe haven for when life gets a little rough. And there will always be a warm cup of tea, a hug and some wonderful homemade food to make you feel better. In fact, we all know that. I am so happy to know that Katya, Alexis and Logan will grow up with you as such a huge part of their lives. You have always been such a huge part of mine.

Debbie K.: You are one of the warmest people that I have ever met. Brett is an independent, hard working man now who is that way in large part to your influence and support. Suzanne loves you and knows that you are there for her as well. You are wonderful. You are wonderful to everyone! You have made a huge difference in M & M's lives up here, Katya adores you, Alexis goes nuts when she sees you, and Logan will soon learn to love you as well. You are the Ginger to your family. My family knows that being a Ginger is a HUGE compliment.

Michelle: I miss you. I am so sorry that I don't get to see you every day like I used to. You are the closest thing I have ever had to a sister. You are one of the most hard working women that I know and it was always nice to have Katya with you. It is seldom that you find someone else in life that has the same rules and expectations for their kids. You do everything that you can for Rese to provide for her the best future possible.

Grandma: You have always been the best grandma in the world! Thanks for being so close to me growing up. You always gave me good and sound advice. It's too bad I didn't always take it. I love you and miss you terribly.

Pam: Thanks for being one of the warmest people I have ever known. I was always welcome at your house and in your car for your many outings to Mission Bay, the movies, or wherever. Growing up with you as my Aunt Pam has been nothing short of wonderful. I can't think of the words to tell you how warm my heart feels when I think of you and how influential you have been in my life. Your daughters are grown and gone, but they love to spend time with you still. That is the sign of a warm and wonderful mother.

Aunt Ann: I know I don't get to see you hardly at all anymore, but I love you. Thanks for opening your heart to me and letting me live with you for those few months when I was younger. It was because of you that I learned to love crafting and how to work a microwave. Skills I still employ to this day. I always felt safe at your house.

Aunt Cheri: Thanks so much for being my aunt. You are so gracious, supportive and kind to me and my kids always. I have always thought of you as a second mother. Probably because I spent so darn much time at your house growing up and the fact that you are my Mother's best and oldest friend. I'm so lucky to have you in my life.

Heather: You are an amazing mother. You handle motherhood with ease and grace. Your kids are warm and loving, a sign of a warm and loving mother. You showed me long ago that being a stay at home mother could have a huge postive impact in your kids lives. I miss seeing you guys on a regular basis.

Mandee: Thanks for all the great advice. It's too bad that we don't live closer, I'd love to hang out with you and the kids. It is so nice to know someone else who is in such a similar position. Your emails always say the right thing at the right time. I appreciate and value your friendship.

I thank each of you for being so influential in my life. Each of you have shown me different ways to be a mother and that has made me a better mother. I know that Katya has benefited from the many long conversations I have had with each of you over the course of her lifetime. I hope to only become a better and more patient mother now that I have Alexis and Logan.

I love you all!

4 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Oh Deby, this had brought me tears and happiness that you are a part of my life, too. Over the years, we have learned a lot about each others of what we like and dislike.. but no matter what, I have always love you even though I don't say it often to you. This time, I will " I LOVE YOU."

As I have been watching you over the years as a sister in law, I have always admired what you have done with Katya over the years. She has achieved a lot despite of your long working hours. She sure is lucky to have you.

Alexis' stubborn as you mentioned, it is because she has a strong-willed-- she got it from you :-) That s good because she knows where she wants to stand.

Since I have never met Logan yet (though I already am in love with him) I am sure that he has one of your qualities.. from what you had described that he loves the attention and is sensitive for others. I predict that he will be an enabler-- a caring little darling boy.

Well, I hope you know that you are an excellent mother. Your kids are lucky to have you. I also have learned a lot from you, being more caring for others to whom you cherish a lot. Thanks to you, Deby!

Once again, I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH !

Love always,
Laura

Anonymous said...

Wow, Deby! What a beautiful tribute to some great women! I envy the way that you are able to write and express yourself. Thanks for the kind words and for being such a good example of what it really means to be a "super mom!"

Ginger said...

Deby, your high praise of me brings a smile to my lips, a blush to my cheeks, and a tear to my eyes. You look pretty wonderful from this vantage point, yourself. Everyday I wonder how you manage with so many demands on your time and attention; I'd go bonkers and use duct tape on everyone or catch the first Greyhound to Anywhere. Yet, you are never too busy to help out and think of the rest of us. We are truly blessed to share DNA and/or friendship with all the other great moms you so eloquently describe. I love you beyond words.

Unknown said...

Awwwww, Deby. That was so sweet. Thanks for the mention. I hope you had a happy mothers day!