Monday, May 14, 2007

OCD

Everyone in my family seems to have some kind of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I won't name names, but some issues that people have are; wanting a certain number of ice cubes in your glass (odd, even or prime), counting your gulps, numbering socks so that the pairs wear evenly together, counting steps on stairs, keeping money organized a certain way... etc. The list goes on.

I have always thought of myself as being pretty darn mellow. I thought that I was one of those family members that escaped the whole OCD issue thing. After all, I tend to have a clean house - but messy little piles of paper that always need to be tended to are on my desk and the kitchen counter. I'm a stacker of paper, one of my faults.

It was brought to my attention a few years ago, that I indeed have my own OCD tendencies. I was reminded of them this morning as I was putting away groceries.

1. I have to have a nicely organized and clean fridge. Keeping it clean is an ongoing battle, but keeping it organized is a MUST. Everything must be faced forward (so you can read what it is) and in nice little rows. I get laughed at because of my fridge.

2. I have the cabinets under the bathroom sinks neatly organized as well. Rows of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and other toiletry essentials are nicely stacked and faced forward for easy viewing and grabbing. My mother had a good time looking under the sinks during one of her visits here.

3. I'm a freak about laundry. Not sure why, but I am extremely particular about how my laundry is done. I have forbidden Bob from ever washing my clothes unless I am in the hospital. I am so afraid of having something shrunk or turned a new color. I also fold all t-shirts, underwear (Ginger had a laugh about this one), towels and socks. T-shirts have to be folded a certain way or I will refold them. Not sure why. Bob really doesn't seem to care because laundry to him is one of the most awful chores there is. I feel that way about taking out the trash.

4. I have a little thing about reading signs and billboards. It is really distracting for me because I feel compelled to read everything within eyesight if humanly possible. The upside of this is that I know my way around places by where the stores and signs are located. The downside of this is that when I give directions to people it tends to be "turn left at the sign for the state park" or "look for the flaming chicken (a piece of art by my house) and go in the direction of Big O Bagels".

5. I buy a lot of groceries. My cupboards are always stocked with food and my freezers are both packed full with food as well. You will never ever go hungry in my house. Not sure why I feel the need to have not one can of refried beans, but four. Or no less than five boxes of cereal in the cupboard at all times. I am not huge and nobody in my family is obese. We all eat normal amounts of food and the food that I buy is usually healthy, whole grain and organic. Granted, I keep a good amount of microwave friendly foods for Bob and Katya for emergency meals or YOYO nights (I love that term from Mandee. You are On Your Own.). But, for the most part what we have is good for you. I just have a lot of it.

I think that is it. I am sure that if I forgot anything, I will be reminded by my most loving family members. I look at this whole OCD thing as quirks that make us all endearing! Besides, you will always be able to find stuff in my fridge when you come over.

3 comments:

Aimee said...

We are very similar. My house must be clean, but paper tends to get piled. Neat piles though. And my fridge is one of my pet peeves...it must be organized and clean. Nothing reaches the exp date in my fridge. It is all about rotation. My cupboards are always stocked, you never know what you are going to need. On Laundry it is the towels that must be perfect for me. I hang just about everything else. One place we differ is cupboards, mine tend to be a mess, it drives me crazy but I don't do anything about it.

Ginger said...

I thought everyone counted their gulps! You mean you don't? That's just wrong!

Laura and the family said...

I already see the patterns with someone you know in my household :-)