Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hikes With Tykes

Almost every Tuesday for the past month now, Ginger and I have put the babies in some strollers and headed out on different trails around Bend. The Parks and Rec office here offers something for everyone! For those of us that have small children and still want to get some kind of workout, they offer Hikes With Tykes.

We get emailed the starting location of our next hike and we show up at 9am ready to do some walking/hiking. Ginger walks Alexis in our Bob stroller (so aptly named) and I walk Logan in our Phil & Ted's stroller (that one still needs a name). I bring along water, snacks and diapering essentials and we head out following our trusty leader, Mary. The walks are sometimes more interesting or more beautiful than others, but they are always a good walk. The usual hike is walking for an hour, stopping at a park to let the kids burn up some energy, and walking for an hour back. We started out the walking season with only three mile hikes. Our hike yesterday was a bit over 5 miles, but because it was cross country (on dirt and gravel paths), it seemed longer.

Our hike yesterday, although long, was beautiful. It was a trail that ran along the Deschutes River that I didn't know existed. I will definately need to go back there for another hike sometime. But, I think I would prefer to take Logan in the front pack. My arms were sore from pushing that stroller along the gravel path and up some serious incline. Luckily, I had remembered to bring my camera to take some pictures. I am a photo junkie.

I am looking forward to the hike next week. I am learning all the cool places to go for a hike that are stroller friendly in Bend.

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Any walk with you guys is always interesting and beautiful:)