Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Black Licorice

Black licorice is one of those things that you either LOVE or you HATE.

I am in the love category. Since I was a little girl I just loved any candy that tasted at all like black licorice. I even loved the smell of anise from plants that people had in their yards. I love Black Vines, Good & Plenty, All Sorts, Anise Drops, Black Jack gum, anise tea, Italian anise cookies...etc. The list goes on. Many years ago I had black licorice ice cream during a trip to Montana. Soooooooooooooo good.

I grew up being the only person in my house that liked black licorice. It was awesome! I could buy a big bag of candy and leave it out knowing nobody would ever touch it. Then one day when I had taken Katya to Old Towne for the day I had stopped by the candy store and bought myself a little bag of hard anise drops. So good. Katya was about three years old and she wanted to try one. I told her that she wouldn't like it, but I let her try it anyway. I had my hand there ready for her to spit it out when she looked at me with eyes wide and said - YUM! What a shock! So for the past ten years I had shared my beloved black licorice with my little girl.

A couple of months ago, Ginger and I checked out a new deli that opened along my normal walking route called the American Deli. Imagine my surprise when they carried black licorice ice cream!! As a special treat Katya and I stopped there yesterday after one of Katya's doctor's appointments. Two scoops in a waffle cone for each of us. Alexis started demanding a taste so I put a little on a spoon and put it in her mouth with a napkin ready for her to spit it out when she looked at me with eyes wide and said - Mmmmmmmmmmm!

So BOTH of my girls are black licorice lovers like their mother. When Logan gets a bit older I am very curious to see if he likes it too. Isn't it funny sometimes what is genetic?

4 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Even though I am not in your family blood, having any kind of black licorice in my mouth is like I am in heaven ! OHHH, I LOVE IT !

Laura and the family said...

How about eating soft and hard black licorice buttons??? I even had Black Licorice during the Halloween month at 31 Flavor Ice Cream. It left me having a black tongue.. do you remember that???

Diana said...

Damn, gotta love that licorice.... mmmmmmmm....

Anonymous said...

I love it. After reading your blog the other day, I found myself at the grocery store picking up a box of Good & Plenty. Thanks alot Deby!