Sunday, May 20, 2007

District Track Meet

Last Thursday Katya competed in a district track meet for this area at Redmond High School. I think it included Bend, Redmond and La Pine. Let's just say that there were a lot of kids there.

Thankfully, Ginger was able to babysit Alexis all day while I sat at the meet. Alexis had a good time going to Danae's class, eating ravioli, playing with the dogs and generally getting spoiled by Ginger all day. I took Logan with me since I figured I would be at the meet for nine hours. I wasn't too far off my expected time there.

I got to Redmond High School at 9am, just as the kids were getting off of the buses. I found a good spot on the grass right at the finish line and set up camp. I had two chairs (in case Katya wanted to hang with me and for when Bob showed up at 2pm), an umbrella to keep the sun off, a big hat which embarassed Katya, a cooler with lunch and munchies for Katya and I, lots and lots of water, a blanket, reading material, my camera and my IPod. I was set for the day. Which is good because it was HOT in the sun. Logan and I wore spf 55 all day but my legs (what was showing of them) got burnt. I managed to keep Logan shaded and unburnt all day.

Katya was an alternate for the 110 hurdles, which was why I showed up so early. The 110 hurdles is always the first running event. She ended up not competing in that race. She was also an alternate for the 200, which she did run. She didn't place, but she did really well. Especially considering that her knees were taped up from physical therapy.

For some reason, when it came time for her 800 relay (four girls each running a 200) she had rockets on her feet. Her relay team got second place!!! What an accomplishment! We don't know yet if they will be going to the State meet, but we should find out next Monday. She gets her ribbon on Monday as well. How cool is that? She says that she plans on doing a lot of training over the summer and fall to prep for next season. She likes this whole winning thing.

No comments: