Monday, May 7, 2007

Shuffle Mode

I do a LOT of walking. I walk four to five days a week for at least 45 minutes (a little over 3 miles minimum) in the grand hopes that some day my baby fat will eventually melt away. I have found that I actually can take advantage of some morning time after I feed Logan and before Bob and Alexis wake up. Walking the same routes every day can get pretty dull, so I hook myself up to my little IPod that Bob gave me for Christmas a couple years ago and go on my way.

While walking this morning, I noticed a theme with my IPod. Even in it's shuffle mode, I get certain genres of music primarily played each day. Now, I have some really eclectic taste in music. I like rock, pop, hip hop, some stuff that is considered rap, alternative, 70's, 80's... the list goes on. So, of course, my IPod music reflects that. But, it doesn't seem to stop the IPod from playing certain artists on certain days.

Today was primarily Beyonce and Destiny's Child. I must have heard at least 10 songs that were Beyonce related. Her new one with Shakira, some old stuff with Destiny's Child and a couple from her first solo album.

Last Friday was mostly rock. I heard Nine Inch Nails, ZZ Top, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 3 Doors Down, Evanescence, Outcast, Everclear and the like.

One day last week I spent my whole walk hitting the shuffle button because I was wanting music that was more upbeat. All I mostly got for that whole walk was Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Norah Jones, Vanessa Carlton, Enigma, Elliott Smith, The Fray and Dido.

My favorite walking days are ones where the IPod plays a lot of pop and hip hop. I get some speed up when I'm listening to Will Smith asking if I can "Switch", or Gwen Stefani telling me about her "Sweet Escape", or 50 Cent telling me about what it going on "In Da Club". Nelly, Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, Justin Timberlake, Missy Elliot, Pink and Prince (true, not current but one of my favorites) make my walking time just wizz by.

I need to peruse my IStore to see if there are any new songs that I want to put on my IPod in the grand hopes that someday it will feel like playing it.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

I was just thinking the other day (as I had a car full of girls singing along to Gwen Stefani) that I am so glad I have teenagers to keep me hip.

You may be hip to the music scene all on your own, but if it weren't for Parker and Maddy and their friends, (and American Idol) I would be stuck in the '90s.

Deby said...

I'm with you on that one! Katya is always having me listen to the hit list stuff. Bob is an 80's metal head and he still prefers his Metallica.