Saturday, April 21, 2007

Suzanne

Ok, see if you can follow me here. Debbie Kocian (aka Debbie K.) is one of Bob's older sisters. Debbie was previously married many years ago to a man who lived in Texas. Her ex-husband had come into the relationship with two children, one of them being a 2 year old named Suzanne. Debbie was married for many years, but the relationship ended and Debbie and her son, Brett, moved out to California. However, Debbie has maintained a relationship with Suzanne to this day.

I first met Suzanne about four years ago while she was working on her Master's degree in something biotech related. We had lunch close to Qualcomm and I instantly loved her. She is one of those genuinely fabulous people who are beautiful inside and out. I have only seen her a few times after that, primarily at weddings or huge family gatherings.

Well, her and her significant other, Tom, moved to San Francisco about six months ago when Tom was offered a great position with a biotech company up there. Suzanne was on the great job hunt this whole time as well as decorating her new apartment. I saw pictures of the apartment and it is small, but so cute! Well, Suzanne starts a new job on Monday but she decided she would hop up here to Bend to visit Debbie for a week before she starts back into the rat race.

Debbie had a lot of parent duty to perform while Suzanne was here (that will be a blog unto itself), so I had the privilege to entertain Suzanne a bit. I mostly just made dinners for them here at my house, but I really enjoyed the time to get to know Suzanne better. She headed back to San Francisco, but she promised to visit in the summer with Tom.

Isn't it amazing that sometimes the people that come into your lives - that have no blood ties to you at all - are the people you love to call family? I have been fortunate in having my life sprinkled with non-blood related people who I feel are some of the most important people in my life and my children's lives.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

I also have some very special people that aren't family that I consider family. I love them, think the world of them, and couldn't live without them!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I was a friend of Debbie's (Debra Kocian) a few years ago. Please tell her I say hi. I looked up her name and found your site. If she wants my email is mkoesling9@aol.com
Genevieve