Friday, April 20, 2007

Katya's First Track Meet of the Season

Well, yesterday Katya had her first of four track meets and she rocked it!

Katya was signed up to do four events yesterday; high jump, 110 low hurdles, 200 sprint & the 800 relay.

Katya's first event was the 110 low hurdles. There were three heats of this event for the 7th grade girls and Katya came in 1st overall!! She really has some speed that she puts in for the last 30 yards of her races that helps her to zoom past some of the other girls.

She was so pumped up about her 110 that she decided to blow off the high jump. I was bummed about that one. I did both hurdles and high jump in high school so those are two of my favorite events.

There was about an hour between events and during this time the weather went from a nice 67 degrees to about 50 degrees with a cold wind. All the spectators started wrapping up in blankets from their cars because it was getting so cold. Alexis had a cold so I had left her with Ginger and just brought Logan with me. He was all snug in his fleece sleeping bag thing and another fleece blanket. He just slept through the whole meet. Luckily they supply the kids with sweats so Katya was keeping warm.


When Katya's 200 event came up she rocked that one too! She came in 3rd overall behind two other really fast girls from her school. Our neighbor's kid, Zach, was at the meet too (he is an 8th grader) and he made the comment that he had no idea she was that fast. That made her feel good.

I was unable to stay for the 800 relay because I had to get back to Ginger's house so she could take Danae to her evening workout class. Katya told me that her team had missed the call for the 7th grade girls 800 relay (this should come to no surprise to anyone with a teenager) so they ran in the 8th grade girls relay and got second place! After their race the weather got even colder and it snowed on them before they boarded the bus to head on back. I told you our spring weather was bizarre.

Katya was really pumped up and felt so good about her performance this year. Last year she also did track & field, but never placed in the top three. What a difference a year makes. I'm looking forward to the meet next week.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Way to go Katya! You are awesome. I am so jealous that you are doing this now, and not starting at 31. I would give anything to go back and to track in school. Oh well, I am having a ton of fun doing it now.