Thursday, April 19, 2007

Front Porch

Well, Bob has completed another home project. Yeah!

Our front porch is more of a courtyard than a porch, which is very odd for this area. I'm still trying to think of how we can get some of it covered without blocking sunlight for the windows. I'll keep you informed if I get an epiphany some time soon. The one thing that our front porch has going for it is that it is a nice enclosed space with a gate that can lock to keep small grommets inside.

One of the problems that I had with the front porch was that it is a wood floor which is a bit old and has splinters which would make for some boo boos for when Alexis and Logan fell. Soooooooooooo, we put some outdoor carpeting on it. Bob had to do a lot of prep work for it, but he got it laid and it looks great. Our porch gets regular peltings of pine cones from our many, many Ponderosa Pine trees. But the carpet is cleaned quite nicely with our trusty shop vac.

The other problem is that there is a small covered niche where we keep the trash can and recycling containers. Well, Bob built a little ladder thingie to hold all the recycling bins next to the trash can to keep them out of the way but still accessible. Then he fabricated a door with the help of my Uncle Mark and his awesome wood shop that he has in his garage up here. Eventually the door will get painted when we either repaint the whole house or I just decide to paint the inside walls of the patio. Now I don't have to worry about the kids getting into the trash no matter how hard they try.

Next, Bob installed a shelf for me to put my cute garden animals and eventually some plants on. I think that it turned out great! The shelf is actually some wood that was left over from our stairs.


I then ordered some kid friendly accessories for the patio that include a covered patio table and that sand and water table from Target. The slide thing is currently out there, as is the sand turtle and a box that will become a play house. These items will eventually live in the backyard after we (aka Bob) gets it fenced in with some little picket fencing he bought at Home Depot. That is another weekend project for Bob. I'll post pictures of that too when it is finished. After the backyard is finished we have the patio off of the living room that needs to have some work done to it and then we can move to the art room! Unless, of course, another project comes up that takes priority. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why not paint the door with chalkboard paint? Lexi would love that! Want me to do it??