Thursday, July 26, 2007

Big Girl Bed

It’s ready….but she is not. At least not quite yet.

Well, Katya (being 5’ 7”) outgrew her bed, so she got the queen we were using as a guest bed and her twin went to Alexis. I bought that twin bed for Katya when she was five years old. Katya and I had shared a queen sized bed for a while before she moved to a twin, so she never had to worry about side rails. She had more than enough space and she had a wall on one side and me on the other. After we had moved into the townhome I sucked it up and went to buy us some furniture. Nice stuff that matched and had no assembly required. Katya had her Ikea bed and I had a mattress that was on the floor next to my Target lamp.

I fell in love with a craftsman bed and two night stands and a Stickley armoire that they had marked way down to move off the floor (it is beautiful). When I went to the kids section Katya fell in love with a white canopy bed and really girly dresser and desk. I KNEW that furniture would not stand the test of time, so I bought the rather plain maple furniture instead. Boy was she mad at me! For her mattress I bought her a 17 inch thick, double pillow top, marshmallow bed. It is divine! The only problem with it was that for a couple of years until Katya grew enough, she had to take a running leap to get onto her bed. Her bed has a trundle under it for a nice roll away sleepover place for friends and a more reasonable sized mattress.

Alexis is now 18 months old and Logan is now 6 months old. Logan is starting to outgrow his bassinet and the logical place to put him is in the crib. Only the crib is currently occupied by Alexis. It was time to start prepping the twin bed for Alexis. I ordered a really nice and super large side rail, a step stool (from Target) as well as a twin sized “accident” pad. After Bob put the side rail in place we realized that the mattress was WAY too big. So we put the super huge mattress in a mattress cover thingie and put it in the art room/storage room for a later date. We then moved the trundle mattress to the top and it fit perfectly! I washed the sheets, made the bed and let Alexis give it a shot. She loves that bed. She loves climbing up and down off of that bed. She just isn’t quite ready to sleep in that bed. When we come back from our vacation in August we will work on transitioning her out of the crib and into the twin. At the same time we will move Logan from our room into the crib.

Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

3 comments:

Mandee said...

Yes, and my experience says to leave her in the crib as long as you. Even if it means buying another one from a garage sale, or the thrift store.

I was on the verge of doing this very thing, when Charlie finally decided to stay in bed. He still ends up in our bed at least twice a week, but it's usually in the mornings.

My friend Rachie Ray, posted about this topic on her blog today! I gave her the same advice.

That is a great bed, by the way!

Laura and the family said...

I remember Dylan did not start sleeping on his own bed just a month before Ryan was born. Actually, he didn't have the choice...Then, Ryan had to learn to sleep on his own toddler bed when we first moved to a house.

I really like the wooden steps-- it matches everything.

Ginger said...

My best advice...use duct tape to keep her in bed at night. It'll work until she gets enough teeth to gnaw through it. Happy momming:)