Thursday, May 8, 2008

Summer Plans

Man, oh man, nobody can plan their summer quite like a teenager.

I don’t remember having much downtime during my summer breaks because my mother was quite creative with our summer projects. Lots of detailed lists with supervision by my Grandparents. I didn’t have time to get into trouble.

With the plans that Katya is putting into place, she won’t have time either. The only downside is that she won’t be spending much time in San Diego visiting her father or anyone on my side of the family either. She wants to do the following:

- As many of the conditioning classes and open gyms for volleyball as she can get into to better her odds of making it onto the JV team
- Volunteer for three weeks at a local art studio with kids 6-8 years old. This will count towards her community service hours for high school.
- Go on the four day campout with her Campfire group
- Stay for a week at a Campfire resident camp (possibly)
- Attend as many open gyms for basketball as possible
- Do extra workouts to meet the fitness requirements for even trying out for the volleyball team. A vertical jump of 15 inches!
- Go to a few of her OVA (club volleyball) clinics

How will she get everything done? Who knows?

I do know that she has her heart set on getting as in shape as she possibly could be so she can make that volleyball team. She is committed!

At least she has her trusty bike that can take her to most of the places that she might want to go around town. I love the fact that Bend is bike friendly and small enough that I feel safe letting her go by herself. Most of her friends live close by and they all have bikes too. And it will be nice to not have her dependent on me driving her around town every darn day. Gas is too spendy! I’m getting a bike trailer attachment for my Chariot chassis and dusting off my own bike so I can hopefully reduce the number of times that I must fill up my gas tank. I almost passed out at how much it cost last time.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

I remember I used to ride my 3 miles bikes one way of each to my High School on every Saturdays. From there, I started my swimming for an hour. Then, I rode my bike back.

While not swimming, I still found a time hanging around my friends who lives more than 10 miles to watch a closed captioned movies on my bike, working at McDonald's restaurant four times a week during the summer in order to earn my money for a two week of Lake Havasu (Arizona) trip along with my other 10 friends and two adults.

I'm very much like Katya who always find a way to entertain ourselves over the summer.