Friday, May 16, 2008

District Track Meet

Yesterday was the Central Oregon District Track meet at Mt. View High School. Katya qualified to run in two events (100 hurdles & 4 x 200 relay) and was listed as an alternate for the 200. She worked hard to get to this meet.

Of course, it had to be the hottest day of 2008 with the temps around 83 degrees. That is pretty hot weather for running in, especially since it hasn't gotten above 70 something yet.

They were in need of timers, so I spent all of my day sitting on a metal stand logging the times of people in lane 6 or just handing out sticks at the finish line. Not quite as much fun as visiting with Katya last year, but they needed me. And I got all the free bottled water I wanted.

Katya had a good time hanging in the shade under some easy ups that one fabulously awesome parent brought. She took some crazy pics with her friends, they all cheered on their school and alternated listening to each other's IPods and eating all the munchies that I brought.

Katya didn't place in the hurdles, which is a bummer - but she tried!

Katya opted not to run the 200 since her leg was hurting her from a bad wipe out during her Sunday hurdle practice. And it was darn hot.

However, Katya's 4 x 200 relay team easily took 1st place. I am pretty sure that means the group gets an invite to participate in the State Track Meet. When and where that is, I don't know yet.

We picked up the babies from Debbie K. at 6pm who had been nice enough to watch them all day for me. I don't know what I would do without her and Ginger both. Katya was falling asleep on her couch so I had to drag her home so she could take a bath and pour herself into bed.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

We are really proud of Katya.. involving in a district track meet is not easy, but the memories last. I remember being involved in California International Final for swimming. Of course, I didn't win, but I will never forget this lifetime event. Katya won't either :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, this takes me back to my track days. Yay for districts!