Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day

It is pretty funny, my idea of the perfect Mother's Day has evolved over the past 14 years.

When I was doing the working single Mom gig - all I wanted was to spend time with Katya. We'd just chill at home or go to the movies. I just wanted to spend as much time with her as I could because I was missing her all the time. But you do what you have to do and things work out. Katya and I are very close and Katya is brilliant so all that daycare didn't hurt her any.

Now that I am doing the stay at home mother gig - all I wanted for Mother's Day was some time AWAY from the kids. I got up early and fetched myself some pastries and coffee from the Village Baker (so I could get what I know I liked). So yummy and everyone enjoyed the selection that I brought home.

Then Bob got the kids all dressed (he did good 'cause they looked so CUTE) and he took them over to spend some time with his mother and his sister. Blessed silence! Katya went to work at the local soup kitchen to earn some more community service hours for school / Jr. Honor Society so I was at home all alone for the whole afternoon!

I read some of my book, I watched some of "Dead Like Me" on Netflix and spent a good hour chatting with my girlfriend. I didn't pick up toys or laundry - I just stepped over it all. I believe sloth is the proper term for my energy output for Sunday.

When Katya got back from the soup kitchen we went to lunch together before she headed out to her hurdle training at the middle school. About 7:30pm I was missing the babies and Bob and they pulled up right as Katya was dishing out the cheeseburger macaroni that she made me for dinner. I had told everyone no gifts, but the babies walked in with some flowers for me. They look lovely on the table even though Logan had "looked" a little too closely at some of the daisies and they are now laying face down since their stems have been broken. At least he can appreciate the beauty of them. Next we will work on him being able to control his exceedingly strong hands.

It was a lovely day and I woke up on Monday totally refreshed.

I sincerely hope that all you mother's out there had a great day and felt loved and appreciated.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Awwww, I am awfully glad you had a time-out for yourself especially not hearing all kind of screaming in your household.

If you say "No gifts" for Mother's Day, it is still nice to get a gift from your kids anyway. I didn't expect David would buy me a bonquet of roses because he always thinks it is a waste to buy real flowers. Still, we, as mothers, deserve the best.

Occidental Girl said...

Glad you had a good mother's day!

I know what you mean about being a single mom and wanting to spend all your time with your kids, then being a stay at home mom and wanting a little breather. That's exactly what it's like for me, too.