Thursday, June 7, 2007

National Young Leaders State Conference

Wow! We got the best letter in the mail today. It was a letter to Katya and her parents from 1700 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C..

The letter was an invitation for Katya to attend the National Young Leaders State Conference for the Pacific Northwest Region in Seattle, Washington in February of 2008 for 8th and 9th graders. Evidently she was nominated by one of her teachers at school. How wonderful a teacher to take the time to write a letter of recommendation! Only students that have a 3.5 to 4.0 GPA and a teacher recommendation are allowed to attend - we've got that one in the bag, Baby!

Katya is so excited! The trip is expensive, especially on top of her trip to Washington D.C. at the end of 8th grade. But, we will find a way to make both happen. They provided some good information for fundraising which we will be taking full advantage of.

They included a schedule that has the topics that they will be covering for those four days. Some of the topics are: Unleashing the Leader Within; Recognizing Your Personal Strengths and Unique Abilities; Forming Your Leadership Base; Creating Your Network of Supporters; Shaping a Vision for Your Future; Listening to Be Heard; Active Listening, Feedback and Goal Sharing; The Content of Your Character; The Impact of Values; Developing a Personal Leadership Philosophy; Limitless Opportunities, Responsible Choices; Developing Standards and Taking Ownership for Your Actions...etc. How awesome is this??

I will fly to Seattle with her and basically just check her into the hotel and leave. She stays at the conference without me and I don't see her until the last day when they have a commencement ceremony and hand her a certificate of completion. What will I be doing by myself in Seattle for four whole days? Hanging with Michelle!!!! I already called her and told her to get the time off of work and that I was staying at her house.

We are just so tickled that she was nominated and that she gets to take advantage of such a wonderful opportunity. Not to mention that this will look so amazing on a college application!

4 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Congratulation to Katya ! You must be a proud mom!

Can't believe she is almost all grown up? It seems like yesterday.. but I have enjoyed seeing the proudest moment of my wonderful niece, Katya

Ginger said...

What an honor! The classes sound like we could all use them. She can come back and give us a mini-seminar.

Mandee said...

That is awesome! Congrats to Katya! And enjoy your time in WA. I'm jealous of that!

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a little behind in my blog reading. I'm very excited for Katya! Let me know when you start fundraising. I would be happy to buy wrapping paper/candles/snacks/jewlery or whatever to help support this awesome opportunity = )