Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Bill Clinton in Bend

I'm so bummed!

Bill Clinton came to our little bitty city of Bend last night, but I found out about it at the same darn time that it started. There was no way that I could drag the little ones with me down to Bend High to get to see him. Evidently it was a good thing too since thousands of people evidently showed up to see him.

I normally TOTALLY shy away from anything political on my blog for obvious reasons - but being able to get to meet and listen to a former President would be awesome. Regardless of his personal issues that were made public, he was a great President who made some really great decisions for this country. The least of which is his founding of Americorps which has helped our little Campfire office have two wonderful college students be able to make a difference in our community.

Our friend, Rick, went last night and these were his words:

You gotta love election years for the opportunities they generate. In this case little ol' Bend Oregon welcomes President Clinton to speak at Bend High School. Only the fourth time a president has ever visited Central Oregon (and the one where Bush dropped in for a photo op during the fires a few years ago doesn't count in my book).Anyway, thousands showed up to fill a gymnasium that only holds about 1500. Later, an additional area was opened and the place maxed out it's capacity of 2000. Many were turned away. I was not. I was there, front and center. Close enough to make eye contact, close enough even to shake hands with the President afterwards. And I have to say Bill still has still got the magic; engaging, thoughtful, friendly, smart and heartfelt. He moved me and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to hear him speak. Officially, I went in undecided between Hillary and Obama. But after hearing Bill make Hillary's case I will be studying his points closely. He really spoke well and covered a lot.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My oldest waiting in line for 90 minutes, but couldn't get in to hear him speak. She did get a glimpse of him though. This is her first election in which she can vote, so politics are all of a sudden exciting to her.

Deby said...

I remember my first year being able to vote. I read the ballot booklet from cover to cover.

Your daughter is the future of our country so I am glad that she is excited about voting. We need more people to make their voices heard!

Laura and the family said...

Have your brother David told you that he got a hand shake from Bill Clinton just a few days before his 100th day of being President U.S at his work site? He was thrilled to be the first San Diegan person who got a hand-shake from Bill Clinton.

However, he was bummed that he did not get a camera because it was a last minute visit at his work site.

Maybe next time will do if you are in San Diego ! :-)