Friday, April 11, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce

I am not the world's best cook. In fact, I really don't like cooking at all. If it were not for having a hubby and children, I would happily subsist off of cereal, cheese & crackers, yogurt and eating out. Not a problem.

However, since I am in charge of the nutritional intake of four other humans - I cook.

Two of these humans hate veggies. I mean HATE as in you can't even get the veggie into their mouth. One of these is 42 and the other is 2. So, I have been resorting to hiding veggies in their meals every chance I get. I know, I should be trying to foster a love of the veggie like I had (and Logan has), but both of them would rather skip a meal than eat something green. Seriously.

Anyway, I have been tinkering with this spaghetti sauce recipe that I found on allrecipes.com and it is finally perfected! It is yummy, everyone loves it (and I do mean everyone), and it is loaded with veggies! It makes a HUGE pot of sauce so you can actually freeze half of it. I just scoop it into gallon size freezer bags (and double bag in case of a leak). It freezes beautifully.

Meaty Spaghetti Sauce

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb Italian style turkey sausage
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1-2 onions, minced (depends on your love of the onion)
3 carrots, finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1-2 zucchini, finely chopped
1 (8oz can) mushrooms (if you like those things, I omit them)
1 (29oz) can tomato sauce
2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 (10.75oz) cans tomato puree
2 (6oz) cans tomato paste
2 tsp soy sauce
3 cubes beef boullion
3 bay leaves
1 tblsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tblsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tblsp white sugar
1 can beef broth

1. In a large stockpot cook the ground turkey, turkey sausage, bell peppers, garlic, onion, carrots, celery and zucchini. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Drain in a large colander but do not rinse.

2. To the large saucepot add the mushrooms (if you want them), tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato puree, tomato paste, boullion cubes, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper, soy sauce, sugar and beef broth and stir well. Pour the meat mixture into the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Mandee said...

I guess I'll have to come to your house to get a taste, cause there are WAY too many ingredients for me to even think about trying to make it, but it sounds delicious.

I hate cooking, too, and could live on your same diet. Keep the recipes coming! I always need new ideas!

Unknown said...

I hate cooking too, and I also have a couple of vegetable haters. Actually, I think they hate anything that isn't pure sugar and anything that we actually have on hand, even if it was their favorite food the day before.

Heather said...

OK, I was thinking the same thing as Mandee-----about 25 too many ingredients! BUT, I am a Classico kinda mom, and I probably should branch out and try something different - so thanks for the recipe. I love buying those bags of peppers at Costco (red, orange & yellow) but sometimes they don't all get used before going mushy. 1 question, when you say "finely chopped" do you use a chopper, a knife or a food processor?

Deby said...

Heather, I say use your food processor if you've got one! I'm all about what is easy. And they have to be chopped small enough (or just pureed) so that Bob will actually ingest them.

I had always thought that homemade sauce was really hard to make and took a ton of time. This one has the chopping of the veggies as the longest part besides just simmering. It is surprisingly good and you can use up a bunch of the leftover veggies that are sitting in your fridge this way too.

BTW, I can't get any takers on your idea of the cooking club thing. I'll keep trying. If nothing else, I'll take recipes!