Friday, April 4, 2008

Computer Woes

Ok... remember last week when I said that my computer was getting re-imaged? Well, it has been nine days now and I think that it is almost back to normal.

The original time estimate was a couple of days. Well, at the end of day three I got a call that they weren't done with it yet but it should be done the next day. I got that same phone call on day four and day five. Then I was told that I could pick it up the next day at 12pm. I was there at 12pm and told again that it was not yet ready. Finally got it back home and all plugged in on Tuesday evening.

Then I realized - I had none of my old emails. I had nothing dated prior to March 24th.

There was work to be done so I loaded up Quickbooks and a few other programs that I use almost daily and at least got some company business done. It took hours just to get a few small things done.

Oh yeah, my computer speakers don't work anymore either. I haven't figured out why yet.

This morning, the computer went back and the old email was restored to me. Thank goodness! I got the computer back around 1pm and after putting the babies to bed I started in on trying to get all back were it belonged because I had some serious work to do!

Then I realized that my printer could no longer scan documents. The software was just not on my computer. And it evidently wasn't on the disk that came with the printer either since it was loaded by Dell at the factory (never buy a Dell anything). You can't get the software from Dell unless you have the one number that they need which is different than the five different numbers that I had records for. I even went onto some forums to try and research it. Nothing. So... I went out and bought myself a new printer. This time I went with Epson. It works now.

So, I scanned the document that I needed to and attached it to an email to send. Then I realized that I had 7 different emails sitting hung in my Outbox. I did a Live Chat thing with Bend Broadband for about 45 minutes and they couldn't help me. I felt like I hit a wall of hopelessness and was darn close to tears when I started calling neighbors that I knew did computer stuff for work. Luckily one was available and he came over and made it all better. I'm so baking them some cookies!

I think I got the rest of the software loaded and it is all working thus far. With the exception of my Norton Anti Virus. That still isn't what it is supposed to be. And my computer speakers.

Man, I knew it would be painful. I just didn't realize it would be THIS painful.

Well, I have to go. I have some documents that I need to finish.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

It happened to your brother, David when the Hard Drive crashed on his new computer tower. He took it to the shop. They couldn't figure what was wrong until three weeks later.

After he got his computer back,he had to start it all over with a new hard drive.

So I know my husband can emphasize you.