Monday, March 31, 2008

Bald Is Sexy

As you all know, my mother is battling breast cancer.

Well, yesterday she had a "Hat Party" with LOTS of friends and family to mark the occasion when she would lose her hair. She had her first chemo treatment last Tuesday and knew that she would lose her hair eventually - so she wanted to take it off on her terms. As with any momentous occasion in my family, we have a party.

At first my mom wanted it to just be a small affair with her girlfriends, but then so many other people wanted to go she just opened it up to all. I couldn't be there and it breaks my heart still. I was always at every family party. To have missed this is hurting my heart still.

Since she was going to lose her hair, my brother decided that he would shave his head in solidarity. Then my cousin, Becky, (who was sporting a bright red mohawk) announced she would shave her head too. Isn't my family cool?

I guess everyone started out with red mohawks before the final shave. They are beautiful!!

Please check out the pics on my sister in law's blog. The pictures are priceless. I especially love the hat that my Uncle Doug got her that says "Bald is Sexy". She had gotten loaded up with tons of scarfs, hats and other head decorations. She told me she has enough to wear something new everyday for over a month.

My mom is so gonna whip this thing!

2 comments:

Occidental Girl said...

Good luck to your mom and your family in this battle. I love to hear of your solidarity! Support is everything.

Anonymous said...

That was absolutely moving. Thank you for sharing such a powerful event.