Saturday, March 29, 2008

Trader Joe's


Trader Joe's has finally opened!

I, being the total nerd that I am, HAD to go yesterday on opening day. It is just so hard to explain why I have been so totally excited about some store opening up. It is stupid, really. But I shopped at Trader Joe's every two weeks for years and years when I lived in San Diego. It is like part of my old life came back to me. (I've been in withdrawals about Qualcomm and the Zoo for a while now.)

Katya and I lived off of their frozen foods and yummy baked goods. Not only were they healthier than anything I could find at the store, it was way cheaper and it cut our grocery bill by a huge amount.

I was hoping to get there when they opened at 9am, but the kids didn't want to be rushed. So, after taking Alexis to see "Horton Hears a Who" with Danae and Ginger (Logan was getting one on one time with Patti, Debbie and Bob's mom) we went to Debbie's house and the kids went down for naps. Debbie let me steal away and hit Trader Joe's in exchange for a package of carrot muffins. Done Deal!

It was insanely crowded!! I mean like cart to cart crowded with huge long lines for the registers weaving through the store. I've never seen anything so crowded in Bend yet. BUT I got some goodies!! I filled my cart with carrot muffins, tons of frozen dinners (Katya loves their orange chicken and chicken fried rice), coffee, bagged spinach salad, salsa, cereal (at $2 a box instead of $5), and some pre-marinated meats for dinner this weekend. I'm a happy girl.

I also picked up some re-useable bags (totally cool looking) which I intend to keep in the car and use to avoid collecting any more plastic grocery bags.

Welcome to Bend, Trader Joe's!! I'm so happy you are here.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

Glad you got Trader Joe's in your area. The next project is to open Henry's.

My boys love Orange Chicken, too. I will have to go there, too. Trader Joe's is just less than a mile from our home, too. :-)