Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Toddler Interpretation

You need to be careful what you say around toddlers. Really, really careful.

When I get irritated or annoyed about something I have been saying "Farvignugen". I think I had heard it off of a VW commercial years ago. And it is a really satisfying word when you feel irked.

Alexis has been talking more and more lately. Repeating words that I didn't even know she had been listening to. For example, she burped yesterday in the kitchen and promptly said "excuse me". So cute.

For the past few weeks though, Alexis has been saying something that sounds kind of like a bad word and we just figured it out this week. She had been saying something that sounds like "firef*ck". With special emphasis on the "uck" part of the word. It really caught our attention to say the least. It was only this week that we figured out that she has named a pacifier this most interesting word.

She likes this word and says it all the time.

It took some doing, but we believe she is trying to say "Farvignugen". Of course we correct her every time she says it, but she is not budging. That is what she wants to call her binky.

(sigh)

I get some interesting stares when I go out for sure!

2 comments:

J Fife said...

I'm sure a pacifier has never had a more amusing nickname.

Also, thanks for the crockpot recipe. I'll give it a try soon.

-Julianne

Laura and the family said...

It was my lesson when I was in college. I used to say swear words. One of my classmates taught me to practice into kind words. Frankly, it took me a while to get used to say these words before I had kids in my life.

Nowadays, I find myself that it was worth to use these words when I was in a bad mood such as getting caught in a bad traffic with two kids behind me. I instead would say, "Oh bummer," "Oh shoot!" "Drat!" After the boys have been hearing me saying these words, I did catch them copying these words when they are upset.