Friday, March 21, 2008

Freecycle


There is this awesome thing called Freecycle that I had read about in my Body and Soul Magazine a few months ago. Sure enough, we had one going here in Bend.

Basically, it is a way to post your unwanted items that you don't want to sell or to give to the Goodwill in the hopes that someone else wants them. Think old clothes, magazines, baby items (especially since Goodwill and Salvation Army won't take anything but baby clothes anymore) cords of wood...etc. I've Freecycled two old Sprint phones, baby spoons, an old desk that we had somehow ended up with, some cute but I would never use them snowman salt and pepper shakers, a few ancient fishing poles that I had inherited from my Grandfather and the like.

You can even post Wanted items that you are in need of. This has been working great for a few months, but lately the Wants have been quite hysterical. It is amazing to me how people want the nicest stuff for nothing and seem to act quite indignant if they don't get it. No idea where this is coming from. Just yesterday there was a post that someone wanted a full five piece drum set. Get real folks!

I still love the idea of Freecycle and I hope that all others out there try it out. It keeps things out of the landfill and helps others that just might need that box of nails you have been wanting to get rid of.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I posted my husband's barely running '90 Toyota on there. Some guy picked it up and made it a project for his 15 year old son to fix and drive. They put $200 into it and got it running which really made us happy because we weren't going to spend that fixing it.

Laura and the family said...

Perfect timing for Spring Cleaning! I hope we have Freecycle in our area.