Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Unbirthday Party

"Statistics prove, prove that you've one birthday,

one birthday ev'ry year.

But there are three hundred and sixty four unbirthdays.

That is why we're gathered here to cheer.

A very merry unbirthday to you, to you.

A very merry unbirthday to you,

It's great to drink to someone and I guess that you will do.

A very merry unbirthday to you"



Those are the lyrics to the "Alice in Wonderland" movie segment of the unbirthday party. One of these days we all need to memorize them because every year my mother hosts her famous Unbirthday Party and we never know the words to sing when it is time to blow out the candles!

The Unbirthday Party is my parent's party to celebrate all of their children and grandchildren's birthdays. It is kind of like having Christmas, only all the presents are from one couple and they are in birthday paper. My dad runs the BBQ and my mom handles everything else.

This year we had everyone! All 14 grandchildren could attend and all four children with their spouses were their transportation. It was chaos, it was loud, there were children everywhere! It was so much FUN! I love my family. I love every single person that was at my mother's house, even if I may not get to see them often enough. It is times like this party when you sit back and are so thankful for family.

Friends may come and go - but family is forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for looking up the words to the song.....now we just need to practice them all year long! That really was a fun party - thanks Richard & Cathy for all you do. Just so you know, Chloe has mastered her "magic hair beader" and puts beads in her hair almost every day. I'm sure that she will want to wear them on the first day of kindergarten next Monday!

Laura and the family said...

Ahhh, I will have to bring my lyrics when I sing for Un-birthday; otherwise, my boys will ask me to be quiet.