Friday, August 17, 2007

Truck Woes

My poor Durango has had a rough past few months. It is hard to admit when your car is getting older.

About two months or so ago I pulled into my driveway just as all my truck's coolent decided to unload in my driveway (thank goodness I wasn't someplace else with all three kids). I had to get a new intake manifold.

A few weeks later, a hose in my radiator decided to burst.

Before I came down here I had to get a new water pump. And as you know from my earlier blog, I had to have that redone at my Dad's dealership.

While my truck was again in the loving hands of my Dad's service department they noticed that my rack and pignion (I think I spelled that right) was going out. That was replaced on Monday and it made the steering so much more stiff. I love it! I thought my truck was just moving a lot from having my cargo storage thingie on the roof and the wind pushing against it.

When they had my truck on Monday my Dad had them try and figure out why it was heating up when he was sitting in traffic. After all, we thought the water pump was responsible for it overheating. Nope, turns out it needs a new radiator.

Sooooooooooooooooooo, my truck is again in for service getting a new radiator. I wanted a few days to drive it to make sure that nothing else decides to break before we drive to Utah. Can you imagine? Stranded on the I-15 with three kids in the car? No thanks.

Luckily, I had been my usual pessimistic self and purchased a seven year extended warranty when I bought my truck and all this is covered. I'd end up having to buy a new car if this stuff wasn't covered. Can you imagine how much all of this would cost?

I am hoping that my beautiful garnet baby will last for another 8 years. We can't afford to buy a new car right now and I really just don't like anything else on the market. Looking at new cars and their price tags make me sweat. Especially when I am not working.

However, if I could have my dream car I think it would be:
- a Toyota (reliability)
- hybrid (environmentally friendly)
- mid size SUV (hauling dogs, yard stuff and stuff)
- seven seater (kids & friends)
- all wheel drive (I do live in snow country)
- heated seats all around (nice in the winter)
- dark tinted windows (comfort in the summer)
- airbags everywhere (safety)
- all the great bells and whistles that new cars have like an IPod jack, DVD player and a hot & cool spot for my drink (luxury)
- in bright metalic tangerine orange (fun)

If anyone hears of that car coming out - let me know!

3 comments:

Laura and the family said...

We have been there this week, too ! :-( Hope everything works out well before you guys drive out to Utah

Mandee said...

I need that car too. We've had our Sequoia for 5 years now. And I would get it all over again. Except every once in a while, I wish I had a minivan for the convenience of getting kids in and out!

Jen said...

From what I have heard diesel is more environmentally friendly than hybrid. But other than that... sounds like you are wanting a Toyota Highlander. Though I can't say if it comes in tangerine. ;)

BTW there is Hannah Montana concert info here: http://tinyurl.com/36z9hy

Let me know if you guys end up going!