Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Mighty Thor

Thor is my little puppy. Well, he is not so little anymore and he really isn't a puppy anymore, but he is my little companion.

I got Thor when I was in a deep funk over the loss of my uncle, my court battle, my arm surgeries, living apart from Bob and stuff going on at work and he was just the thing I needed in my life at the time. I found him when the Humane Society parked themselves outside of Petco one day. He was the cutest puppy on the planet!!

They had told me that he was a Llasa mix. HA! They got that wrong. When he got older his fur changed texture and color, his ears starting standing straight out like Yoda and he started to look like a Terrier. Sure enough, the vet said that he is probably a Cairn Terrier. Sturdy little dogs from Scottland. He was pampered and spoiled when I lived in San Diego. He went to doggie daycare almost every day, got groomed once a week, went to the dog park at least three days a week and had every toy, chew and doggie pad to keep him cool and comfy when I was gone.

Well, we moved here to Oregon and he became a lot less pampered. He started playing with the neighbor dogs and hanging outside a lot. He is inside with me most days unless I leave and he has to hang in the backyard (1/2 acre is enough to run around for a little guy like that) and he can escape the weather in the 3rd car garage. Well, I was feeling that he spent too much time being cold in the garage so I got him a heated dog pad to lay on when I was gone and a heated water dish so his water wouldn't freeze. Now he will be feeling better.

Sunday I noticed that his dew claw was sticking straight out. Upon further inspection I noticed it was totally infected. Poor guy! I took him to the vet yesterday and she fixed him right up. His little leg is all bandaged and when he needs to go outside to use the facilities, I have to tie an old IV bag onto his leg to keep it dry. It should be off by Thursday, but my little heart just breaks seeing his leg all bandaged up. But he is enjoying the treats that I bought him. A giant steer knuckle bone that was basted! That is like cheesecake for us.

Isn't it funny how our pets become members of our family? I love my little Thor! I hope he is with me for many, many more years.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Thor is really lucky to have you as a master. Still, no matter how old he is.. he is just a sweet dog and put it all the crazy up well.

I hope he gets a speedy recovery.

Laura and the family said...

Isn't amazing how animals ease our tensions?

Thor is a really good dog because he is also good putting it up with small children! Also, he is very lucky to have you as his master because he knows you care for him very much.

I hope Thor feels better! Give him my hugs and kisses for me.