Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Happy B-Day Alexis!

Alexis turns 2 today!

This is the beginning of a journey into lots of new words, refusals for no reason, new skills and a whole lot of fun. I hope I have the energy to keep up with her and Logan both.

Alexis was my little miracle baby. Bob and I had tried for two years to get pregnant and instead had two miscarraiges. I was beginning to give up hope of ever giving Katya a sibling. I switched to a fertility Ob/Gyn who did every test she could and she gave me the green light. Then it happened! I got pregnant and the tests began. My pregnancy with her was a day to day thing since my levels of hormones weren't high enough. I did progesterone for three months and didn't tell more than about five people I was even pregnant. I was getting weekly ultrasounds to make sure that she was growing from a speck to a little bean. Then at week 12 the doctor said that I could actually be happy and tell people I was pregnant. It just so happened that I was getting ready to move to Bend at this time so I thought all was well.

No such luck. I ended up spotting the entire two day trip from San Diego to Bend and I was terrified that I would lose her on the road. Luckily, she stayed put. My doctor up here did tests and she looked fine. Then at five months I started to have premature effacing and I was told to stop working out and just take it easy. Up until the seventh month, Alexis kept her legs crossed during ultrasounds and because of this last one we finally knew she was a girl. The last two months involved tons of Braxton Hicks that hurt so bad I couldn't move, so I was in bed a lot.

Then delivery day came! I had her induced a week early like I did Kayta. I am prone to making big babies so I wanted her out early so she didn't get too big (she still managed 8 pounds). The delivery was uneventful. It was painful, long, tiring and involved some full-on screaming at the end, but she came out perfect!

Never was there a more anticipated or wanted baby on the planet. We tried so hard to have her and she was almost taken from us so many times.

You would never know it now from her being the energetic, feisty, funny, shoe loving, opinionated little firecracker that runs around our house, stores toys that she doesn't want Logan touching zipped up in her pajamas, puts everything on her head like a hat and who totally owns Bob.

So, Happy Birthday little Lady!! It is going to be a fun year!!

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

I'd like to be the first person to say Happy Birthday, Alexis! (I knew you would be posting about her :-)

It is always fun to watch her personality changing from sweet to mischievous and via versa. I can related to her quite well !

You will be FINE handling both kids: Alexis and Logan. I've been there with both Ryan and Dylan when they were at your kids' age. I'm positive Mandee and other parents, who have kids with close age, would say the same thing to you.

Have fun with her today!

Mandee said...

Happy Birthday Alexis! I loved reading about your experience in getting her, keeping her, and delivering her! Pregnancy really is a miracle. And she is the cutest little thing, with the personality to boot! Love her!