Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mommy Purse

I was thinking the other day that I have a total Mommy purse, as I dumped the contents of it on the kitchen counter in order to find my misplaced debit card.

Not the purse itself, mind you. My purse is a custom, brown leather bucket bag from Maya Moon Designs. I get compliments on it wherever I go.

It is the contents of my purse of which I speak. I was looking at all my purse "stuff" spread out all over the counter and was thinking how nobody could mistake that I was a mom. Some of the contents included:

- 2 jars of baby food
- 4 pacifiers
- 1 diaper
- a baggie with some baby wipes in it
- a baggie with some snacks for Alexis (corn chex, yogurt raisins, craisins, dried blueberries, goldfish...)
- a wallet crammed with receipts from such places as Safeway, Chatterbeans (a kid play place), Carters outlet and the drycleaners.
- no cash whatsoever
- a picture folio filled with pics of my nephews and my kids (at all ages)
- a baby rattle thing to keep Logan occupied on a moments notice
- papers filled with volleyball and basketball game schedules
- Tic Tacs (Alexis and Katya love these)
- an address book (to send holiday cards to loved ones when I remember)
- a calculator that doesn't work (I found that out last night)
- both kids little yellow immunization cards (otherwise I forget to bring them)
- a battered red cell phone
- a checkbook that normally only has one or two checks left in it
- crayons
- pens and a pencil

Prior to the little ones, my purse had things like makeup in it. Or even a small package of cute little tissues to blow my nose and a sunglass case with a little piece of silk to clean them with. HA! Those previously pampered sunglasses just get thrown in now and hope that they make it to the next days wearing without getting too tattered.

There are so many little joys to motherhood, this is just one of them. In just a few years I'll look back and remember pulling out a jar of babyfood instead of my gum and laugh.

4 comments:

Laura and the family said...

I have to admit after I read your post, I feel better for not being the only ones-- I so often misplaced my debit, having no cash (though I was told by my loving mother in law to always carry $5 in case you need an emergency) and finding myself having one or no check leftover to write!

As my kids got older, I noticed my knickback is getting better as years go by. Still, I rely to carry the knickback because my hands are often full!

Who can argue being mother is a blessing despite of having so much junk in our purse???

J Fife said...

Hi, Deby! Mike got your blog address from Bob. I thought I'd stop in and see what's happening on your side of town. Sorry Sarah and I missed the barbecue. The cupcakes were awesome. Thank you!

Laura and the family said...

OOps, I meant knapsack

Mandee said...

I can sooooo relate to this post. Loved it!