Monday, October 22, 2007

San Diego is Burning


My hometown is on fire! I thought that the Cedar fires of several years ago were as bad as it could get for fires in San Diego, but I was wrong. This is a picture from the fires, it is awful!

I've been sitting here glued to the computer watching 10 News (a local news station) as they cover the vastness of this fire. There is a fire somewhat close to my brother's house, a fire somewhat close to my parent's house, a few friends have had to evacuate and the rest of my family is hunkered down in Vista waiting for things to die down. I fear that one of my aunt's house is gone. At this point 250,000 people have been evacuated.

I can't do anything from Bend other than send them good wishes that everyone's house is still standing, that the air quality gets better quicker (I know from the Cedar fires how awful all that flying ash is and how long it sticks around) and that this ends soon.

I love you all! Stay safe!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way, watching in here from Arizona sick to my stomach worried about my dad, he just had a pacemaker put in and has breathing issues already, I have called to check on him a million times. 4 years I was evacuated and I feel sorry for everyone who has to do that again. I hope that they get those fires out fast!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have a friend in Poway who was evacuated today. At that point the fire was 3 blocks from her house.