Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fire Update

The fires in San Diego are still raging. The Santa Ana winds blew with gusts all day yesterday and all night. It caused a LOT of damage. For those of you that would like an update on the fires here is what I know as of 7:40am:

- The Harris Fire is still going strong and it threatening my brother's house. They evacuated last night to my aunt & uncle's house in Vista. I am hopeful that it will avoid their house.

- The Witch Creek fire seems to have headed West avoiding Scripps Ranch altogether. My parents had to evacuate last night to another aunt & uncle's house in Carlsbad and hopefully can return home today. My aunt and uncle are in a voluntary evacuation zone so they are still not out of the woods yet.

- The San Marcos fire forced the evacuation of Bob's nephew, but he was able to return home last night.

- The Rice fire is still going strong, although the winds have died down to the 15mph range. It is heading North now, heading away from Vista where the bulk of my family is hunkered down. This fire is zero percent contained.

- Unfortunately a new fire has started overnight in Pauma Valley (being called the Poomacha fire) that is heading towards the 76 corridor and starting evacuations in Valley Center, Deer Springs, Hidden Meadows and Vista. According to the maps it looks like it is the Eastern most part of Vista so my family should still be safe.

We had to battle the Cedar fire and the waiting, watching the news, the horrid ash in the air, the frayed nerves was awful. I wish that I could teleport my family up here to safety so Ginger and I could take care of them.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

I wish there was something we could do. (To Richard & Cathy, and David & Laura) We love you guys and are praying for your comfort and safety and that your homes will avoid any damage.

Laura and the family said...

Thanks Deby, Mandee and everyone who were concerned us. Our home is in one piece, so is Cathy and Richard's.