Monday, August 4, 2008

Returning Home

I'm back! And I do apologize for the extended hiatus on my blog. I don't think I have ever gone so long without posting since I started it.

Well, it has been a crazy past few weeks. The drive to San Diego was, as you are aware, long. Not something to be repeated for at least a few years. However, I did finally get to see the Monterey Aquarium after thirty-someodd years of wanting to go. It really is quite amazing.

I didn't get to do as much visiting with people as I would have liked while in San Diego, but that is always the case. However, we did get all of Katya's school clothes while we were there. True, it kills me to spend money on sales tax, but she will look quite wonderful for her freshman year of high school.

And no trip to San Diego is complete without the kids getting sick. Not sure why, but they both caught some kind of cold that left them with a nasty cough. And the day I was taking them to the doctor, they woke up from a four hour nap looking and sounding better. Then I caught it. Of course. Luckily my doctor in San Diego is the BEST and he saw me the day before we left and loaded me up with an all better shot, antibiotics, two different nasal sprays and an inhaler. I managed to get a nice upper respiratory, sinus and ear infection. Good times.

The trip home was great! We left my mom's house at 5:30am and headed north up the I-5 and even with some meal and stretch our leg stops we made it to Redding at 5pm. (Books on tape baby! What a difference. We listened to Executive Priviledge.) I splurged for a nice hotel because I was dying by that time. The next morning we left at 9am and got home by 1:30. I couldn't believe how well the babies acted. Minimal fighting, minimal crying. What a relief!

Although I am still in the process of putting everything back to where it belongs in my house (for some reason the unpacking sparked a wave of Spring Cleaning) things are returning to normal. Somewhat.

On the drive back, I spent some time making a mental list of places in California that I would still like to take the kids when they get a bit older. And get an attention span.

- Hearst Castle: Haven't been there since my Mom took me when I was 10.
- The Giant Redwoods
- More time at Monterey
- The Getty Museum: My mom reminded me of this one.
- Malibu
- San Francisco
- The San Diego Zoo & Wild Animal Park (when they finally notice the animals)
- Lego Land (I didn't have a reason to go before)

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

As far as for the S.F, I would wait for the kids get older. I never felt comfortable taking my kids out there. I probably am a very over-protective mother.

On the way to Redding,there is an old Fashion Train for the kids to ride. Cheese Factory on the coastline is also good for the kids who are in elementary school.

I will have to think something else later...:-)

Mandee said...

In jr high and high school, my mom would take us camping at a beach in Malibu (Leo Carillo) every spring break and during the summer. It was awesome. I keep thinking that one of these years I will be brave and take my kids there. Anyway, in a few years, we should all go together! That would be good times! Glad you made it home okay!