Tuesday, August 5, 2008

OUCH!


The Breast Cancer 3-Day walk is coming up fast and I have been preparing by walking and walking. The three week break in San Diego is a hard thing to recover from, but I am trying.

Well, I am hitting the long mileage walks at this point. I should be up to 17 miles according to the charts they send me every week, but I have only done 15 miles so far.

I try, but I physically can't. Why? I have horrid feet. I literally can't take another step after one of those walks.

Granted, I have had awful feet my whole life. My feet are extremely thin and narrow with tiny narrow heels. Throw in something called nueromas - that are little tumors or growths that wrap themselves around the nerves inbetween your toes and can cause awful pain - and your feet hurt all the time. I had them cut out of my right foot before Katya was born, but they grew back. Three months on crutches just to have them come back.

I went to the foot doctor yesterday for the first time in 14 years and he checked out my feet and suggested cortisone and alcohol shots to try and shrink the nueromas and kill the nerve. He also said that my heels have inflamed tendons which is why they hurt so much. I start P/T for that today. I had the shots in my feet yesterday.

OUCH

But, I guess after shots every 10 days until the walk should help me to be able to finish it. At this point I am game for anything.

I am also going to invest in some new shoes that he recommends from a brand called Brooks. We'll see if those are any better than the Mizundos or other brands that I have in the closet.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

OHHHHHHHH, I did not know you had a foot problem.. I surely hope you overcome a 3-day walk. Must admit that I admire you for your bravery. Good Luck!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about the pain. What an awesome thing you are doing though!