Monday, August 18, 2008

Animal Encounter

On my walk Saturday morning, I had a very cool little animal encounter.

I've been leaving my house around 5:30am for my training walks. I do that so I can attempt to be home early enough to still spend the day with my family. And since it has been in the 90's lately, I get to walk while it is still cool.

Well, I was about 2 1/2 miles into my walk and the sun was still creeping up slowly when all of a sudden a big deer jumped right in front of me. I'd say less than 5 feet away. Luckily, it was a girl deer and not a boy deer. I don't want to be that close to anything with antlers.

Anyway, she just stood there and stared at me. I stopped dead in my tracks and didn't move a muscle. Then a minute later a little baby jumped behind her and started across the street. She moved to the middle of the street, but kept staring at me. I didn't move. Then, after what seemed like a very long time, another baby zoomed by in front of me and headed across the street.

Mama deer ran to the other side of the street and kept watching me. I figured that I had better move or she would stand there all morning. I was trying to convey to her that being a fellow mother, I had her back and would never dream of hurting her or her babies. But I guess my deer conversation skills need work.

I walked for about twenty feet or so and then I looked back and saw her head pop up over a big bush like "I'm watching you".

Very cool.

4 comments:

juliejulie said...

Oh Deby, you are a clever mommy for standing still, and not attempting to steal or shoot those baby deer. I'm sure it was Bambi and Faline, so finally, a happy, happy ending for Bambi's mother. Thank you.

Heather said...

Too bad you didn't have your camera with you!

Laura and the family said...

Whoa, you met "Bambi's wife" and their kid. Lucky dog! It is some thong you will always remember in your life time.

Anonymous said...

That was scary yet interesting and memorable.:) Was it like she's gonna eat you alive? She was just protecting her babies. Fortunately your conversation skills worked for her I think - the fact that you didn't move a muscle.