Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Good Eats


I love this show!

I try and record it periodically so I can learn about everything from the origins and usage of paprika to the history of squash.

Last night I recorded an episode on vanilla and was watching it this morning as Katya and Bob bustled around me leaving for school and work. I had already set out the vitamins, made the lunches, ensured they ate their breakfast and was curled up on the couch writing down Alton Brown's secret to a good fruit salad when I realized Katya and Bob were standing behind me as enraptured as I was.

You have to love Alton Brown. The man is a master for making otherwise boring information that you usally skip over in a cookbook (ok, I am the one that skips over it) into something quite intriguing and attention getting. Bob was appreciating his power tool arsenal. No wimpy tools for Alton. To core a pear he uses his trusty drill with a different bit on it. When making creme brulee he doesn't use a small butane torch. No sir. He uses a full propane tank with a torch end on it. A real man's kind of cook.

If only I could type the ooh ooh ooh sound from Tim Allen to get the same effect.

I admit, I have strayed from Alton periodically to peak over to what Emeril is cooking (I'm trying his blueberry peach cobbler tonight) or License to Grill on Discovery Home (I want his red outdoor fridge!). But for pure entertainment factor and actually getting the nerve to try something new - Alton's got me. He makes everything look so darn easy!

Maybe some of this will seep into my brain by osmosis and I will become a steller, amazing cook in the league of my Aunt Ginger. One can only hope. Until then, I am still happy with a bowl of cereal for dinner for myself.

6 comments:

Mandee said...

I love cold cereal for dinner. LOVE it!

Jen said...

Alton is so cool. I love the popcorn episode. What did he do with vanilla?

Shhh... I skip over the boring parts of the cookbook too.

Deby said...

He did a history of the vanilla bean and the three regions where they are grown. He also made mention never to use Mexican vanilla extract - which was news to me since I used it until I moved up here!

He made creme brulee (using a hot water kettle of all things), poached pears and a fruit salad with a vanilla topping. YUM!

I haven't seen the popcorn one. I'll have to look for it. Maybe Netflix has "Good Eats".

Laura and the family said...

Keep that in mind to make it for us when we visit you.

Jen said...

btw... tag! :)
http://tinyurl.com/2qqnxc

Unknown said...

I love Alton Brown. It's the only cooking show I'll watch. He not only tells the what but also the whys, which is something I need to keep interested.