Thursday, November 8, 2007

Art is Exhausting

I love art. I love to look at art. I love spending hours upon hours looking through art museums and galleries. I love making art. I love to paint and draw.
However, enjoying these things with the kids is just plain exhausting!

When Katya was little, she hated art of any kind. In fact, she didn't voluntarily make me a picture for my fridge until she was in Kindergarten and she told the teacher "she had a picture she had to get out of her head". Now she is an amazing artist. Yes, I still have the picture.

I admit, I was half way expecting Alexis to follow in her sister's footsteps and avoid art. No siree... this girl wants paints and crayons! Bring it on!! We have already gotten a lot of use out of our little easel for coloring and chalk. And we have done some painting of pumpkins and construction paper. Alexis never wants to stop. Which is great! Which is cool! But it is such a mess!

Today we went to a craft time with my SAH mother's group. We were making little placemats with the kids which are going to get laminated. So, there were paints & brushes, stamps, markers, crayons and stickers. Total mayhem. I wasn't quite expecting all that. I had printed out some pictures from my computer and managed to get them cut out before we left. I left Logan on the floor to roll around and get oogled at by the other little girls while I attempted to help Alexis make a handprint turkey. She LOVED it. In fact, she wanted to paint all over everything. The pictures, her hands, her arms, the table... quite the mess. And just when I got her cleaned up and I was trying to finish her placemat, she went right back to the paints.

Then I had to do one for Logan. I did footprints for him and he giggled and giggled when I painted his feet. He is very ticklish. And while I was trying to get Logan's placemat done, Alexis was all over the art table again.

I managed to throw together something I hope the kids will like to eat off of when they get a bit older. But, man I was so happy to leave. I was exhausted and we were only there for an hour!

Trying to wrangle two kids while one is wielding a paint brush with paint on it is quite the challenge. I think that I could create an entire program for corporate teambuilding. If you want to figure out how to manage a group of people working on different projects - try and manage the same number of toddlers (all with paint brushes and sharpies) in a room of nice furniture. If you can survive that, you could survive the workplace.

3 comments:

Laura and the family said...

After you get it laminated, you need to show the world off about Alexis' fabulous art work. And including taking pictures of her dirty hands, feet, and face. We would love to see that.

Deby said...

I couldn't take any pictures of her doing art, I was too busy keeping the paint to the table. : )

Unknown said...

When my 10 year old was in kindergarten and first grade, I was the art literacy volunteer for his class. First I would give a short lecture of the artist we would be studying, and then the kids would make their own art using the artist's technique. The messiest was when we studied Dale Chihuly and used paint on plastic to make glass art. It was such a fun way to volunteer at the school but very exhausting to deal with 20 very young kids and paint.