Sunday, September 2, 2007

Super Size Me

WOW! This was one really enlightening movie. Katya had seen it (the edited version) in her Health class last year and it really made an impact on her.

It is a documentary of one guy as he goes through a McDonald's only diet for one month and what it does to him. This documentary was in response to a lawsuit brought against McDonald's by two teenage girls as well as the growing obesity epidemic in the US in general.

I must say that this movie more than anything else has curbed her appetite for fast food. Now, I am not a big fast food person. When I was working, we did eat out at least once a week. Usually it was Chinese food from China Fun or salad & breadsticks from Olive Garden. But hardly ever was it a drive through or take out fast food place. It was fascinating to see that this guy went from extremely excellent health to his liver starting to fail, depression as well as his cholestrol going through the roof.

For any of you that doubt the effect that food can have on your physical, mental and emotional state of being - watch this movie! If anyone has a teenager who thinks that eating McDonalds, Carl's Jr or Wendy's daily is a decent diet - have them watch this!! It also talks about the impact of that much soda in your diet and what it can do to you.

Katya has been bugging me to watch this movie since she watched it last year and I am glad that it finally came up on my Netflix list. I suggest that you watch it too. For those of you with kids, there are a couple of spots that you need to mute (I didn't need to know about the effect of all this on his "personal" life), but I know there is a school friendly version out there that you should be able to get too.

Talk about great inspiration for me to continue cooking healthy meals at home. It is SOOOOO worth it!

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

Unfortunately, I have watched one of my husband's David went through the same progress as the man did. Not only for the teenage kids, I believe it is good for anybody who needs to understand the importance of diet. That includes bringing the fast food in the house!