Monday, September 24, 2007

MOPS

MOPS is my new favorite thing.

It stands for Mothers Of PreSchoolers and it is the best thing socially that I have done up here so far.

I am kind of a dork in new social situations. I am always so terrified that I will do or say something stupid and need to go and stand in the corner for my ignorance and lack of wit. I don't feel exceedingly cool, or exciting, or even interesting for that matter. And when I am feeling remotely stressed out or uncomfortable I become Ms. Stone Face. I hate that I do, but I do. Like I said, I am a dork.

One day many months ago when I was having an exceedingly hard day with juggling two babies, I was shopping at the local grocery store. I was going to get a coffee for myself because I really, REALLY needed it but then realized that I couldn't because I had no place to even put it. I was wearing Logan in the front pack and had Alexis in the child seat. I must have had a look on my face like I was going to burst into tears when the most wonderful woman approached me and asked if I had considered going to MOPS. I looked at her as though she was speaking Spanish and she proceeded to tell me briefly what it was about and how to sign up. She gave me some much needed and appreciated words of encouragement and then proceeded to do her own shopping. When I got home I called and got signed up for it even though it didn't start until this month.

MOPS is a place for mothers of children 0-6 can go and have a reprieve. My local MOPS is held at the church down the street and is run by the nicest ladies EVER. The meetings are every other week and I have my second meeting this Thursday. The kids go to daycare for two hours and play while the mothers all meet, have some wonderful breakfast foods, listen to a lecturer (the theme this year is The Home Factor) visit and do some activity. Both babies had the best time in their daycare and I was given a pager in case either of them needed me. Evidently Logan bounced for two hours and Alexis (after a brief, yet silent tantrum) proceeded to play with every doll and block in that room.

I got to meet some wonderful ladies, whom I would have never spoken to otherwise. I'm not saying I have a new BFF or anything, but it was nice visiting with these people. I just got an email from my table leader reminding us of our next meeting and it triggered all my warm and fuzzy feelings from the last meeting. I can't wait for Thursday.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

MOPS sounds awesome! I need to go find my local chapter!

Laura and the family said...

Ahhh, I wish I had known earlier if Dylan was younger than 6 ! But I am glad you found a chapter in your hometown