Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Checkups

My chitlins went to the doctor this week for checkups. We fill up an examination room, that's for sure.

Katya was told that she is exceptionally beautiful, in perfect shape, perfect BMI (I didn't even know they calculated that this early), and is a statuesque 5' 7" now.

She is kind of irked with me since I made her get her first HPV shot. Of course, there is no way that I wouldn't have her get this shot. This shot could keep her from ever getting cervical cancer. How wonderful is that! But, this was a HUGE shot! And she has to get another one in two months and the last one in 8 months. For those of you with daughters, hold their hand because it will hurt.

Alexis was just getting her ears checked because that cold/flu/plague that we caught in San Diego lasted for a full 2 weeks (aren't you glad that we didn't come visit, Mandee?) and she was pulling on her ears again. I was so afraid she got an ear infection. Luckily, she was clean.

Logan was the next one up for examination. He is turning into a little handful all of a sudden. He rolls everywhere and can almost hold himself up. After a minute or so he kind of leans to one side and flops over. He is also Mr. Octopus arms grabbing everything within visual range and (of course) sticking it in his mouth. It is getting harder to change his diaper because he can't hold still anymore. And he is babbling all the time and going for some seriously high screaching sounds which he thinks are great.

So for all those reasons, the doctor thinks that he is right on track and doing great. That is until we get to his weight. He is 28 1/2 inches long and weighs in at 16 pounds 5 ounces. Evidently although he feels like a solid little guy - he is only in the 10th percentile for weight!! Ack. I got another talking to about starting him on solid food at least three times a day and go for the whole milk yogurt. I'm going to transition him to formula when he is 9 months and hopefully that will help too.

Alexis has always been in the 30th percentile for her weight (evidently a little heffer compared to her brother) and I am always asked how much she eats, what she eats...etc. I swear, I don't starve my kids! I know that they are tall and skinny - but they are both really active. I carry a bag of snacks with me wherever I go in case Alexis gets hungry.

I know that both little kids are healthy, even though they are considered too thin. I wonder how they calculate this weight to height thing? There seems to be such a small margin for what is considered healthy; not too skinny and not too fat. Other than feeding them cheesecake everyday, I'm not sure what else I could do to plump them up a little bit.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

What a relief to hear that all of them are healthy! I knew it. Don't be a worry wart ! :-)

Anonymous said...

Deby,
Your husband was the skinniest child on the planet, I am sure it's just in the genes! Don't worry. But we all do, I worry because my child has been in the 90% on everything since his 2 month check up. I am sure they will all be okay!
Tracey