Sunday, September 30, 2007

Outlook On Life

I am usually a fairly positive person. Not an optomist by any stretch, but try and look at the good and not focus on the bad. Not read, watch or engage in things that I know will not make me feel happy. Talk about the good things in life and not the bad. Focus on the good and not dwell on the sad.

I fell off the wagon. When exactly, I'm not sure. But I have been getting some strong messages from the universe that I need to go back to my old habits to really find some true, solid, know it in my bones, life is amazing - happiness. I think that I got derailed sometime during the custody battle, infertility challenges, work changes and remodeling. Not too surprising, actually.

But all that is changing now! I'm back on track - or at least I am going to give it my best shot again. It will take a while for me to change my way of thinking again to what it needs to be. But I will get there.

What exactly is how I need to be thinking you ask? Let me tell you:

1. Wake up every day grateful for what I have. (Healthy children, a happy marriage, a home to call my own, a wonderful extended family...)

2. Visualize what I want out of life. (To have money in the bank, to travel the world, to wear a size 8 again, be happily married to Bob for then next 50 years, to finish the art room, happy children...)

3. Focus on the good things in life. Talk about positive things. Think happy thoughts. Read happy stories. Write about happy things. Watch happy movies and shows. Listen to happy music.

4. Don't focus energy on negative things in life. No sad movies. No sad stories. No sad news. No talking about negative people or hanging around negative people.

5. Take some time every day to be alone with my thoughts. Either with 30 minutes during nap times to do something I enjoy (painting or scrapbooking) or in the bathtub when the kids have gone to bed.

6. Make daily exercise a priority. Gotta love those endorphins.

These things are small changes, but they have a big impact.

3 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Deby,

Many of us have gone through by falling it off the wagon. I had few conflicts in my life - then everything solved my own problems before I met David.

It was worth to look at the bright side of life, too. That's what it is all about challenging in our own inner strengths.

We all are 100 % behind you.

Love you

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts, Deby. You are awesome! I just read a good book that I think you would enjoy. It's called "Tending Roses" by Kate Wingate. Easy read but very thought provoking - makes you realize how important it is to be happy with what you have in life. :)

Mandee said...

I could have written those very same things. I need to do the same.

I went out with some girl friends last week- for the first time in I don't know how long- and it was so rejuvenating. I realized that I need to take some time for myself. To be happy with where my life is right now- meaning, QUIT wishing I could just go back to work.

It's soooo nice to have someone that I can relate to so well. Thanks for the inspiration.