Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Spring in Central Oregon

Snow flurries...rain...sunshine...wind...hail...cold...cloudy...warm...

That is what the Spring weather in Central Oregon is like. There is a saying here that I hear all the time; "If you don't like the weather here, wait five minutes". It is most definately a true statement.

Yesterday, we had a cold morning (15 degrees at 7am), then some lovely sunshine, then some rain showers, then sushine, then some wind, a nice warm afternoon (in the mid 50's), then some little snow puff balls that feel like styrofoam. Truely bizarre weather. But I must admit, I love it! Spring has always been my favorite season of the year and it is even more so here in Oregon. I always carry a jacket in the car, so I am pretty much prepared for anything Mother Nature decides to give us.

One of the sure fire signs that Spring has sprung is that the bulb flowers start popping up everywhere. Tulips, crocus, snapdragons... all of them. They are my absolute favorite flowers in the whole world. I have about 60 of them currently popping up all over my front lawn. I planted them when I first moved here (since the remodelling kept me out of the house most of the time) and this is the second spring they have bloomed. When they decide to come out of the ground, they go from little nub to a fairly large plant in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I mostly have tulips and daffodils all over my front lawn. I will only be able to enjoy the blooms for maybe a day or two before the deer come over for a snack. I didn't realize that tulips are like chocolate truffels to deer when I planted them in the front lawn. This summer I hope to be able to plant some tulips in the backyard where I know the deer won't go because of the dogs.

Quail love to live in my neighborhood. Soon the babies will be born and there will be dozens of little bitty quail running back and forth across my street. You have to drive really slowly because they like to dart right out in front of a moving car. They are cute, but not too bright. I found a small quail house in my backyard that needs a little repair that I plan on putting in my front yard. I also need to go and buy some dried corn for them. I would love to walk outside and see little baby quail hanging out in my front yard.

Unfortunately, spring also brings Bob his seasonal allergies. The Juniper trees are pollenating right now and those poor beings with allergies are suffering. Runny noses and watering eyes. We heard of a homeopathic remedy that we hope will work for him. Evidently, if you have about a teaspoon of locally pollenated honey it helps your body to build up a tolerance of the blooming vegetation so you don't suffer as much. I am trying to find some so I can buy it for Bob.

Well, I'm very impatiently waiting for the weather to warm up to 40 so I can go for my walk with the kids. It is now 9am and the temp is 25. The sky is a crystal clear blue and the sun is shining. I can't wait to go outside!

No comments: