Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pink Overload

Ya know, before my mom had breast cancer I only wore pink when pregnant. It most definitely was NOT a color that I would choose for anything. In fact, I was kinda anti-pink.

When Michelle and I went to Seattle and did the Breast Cancer 3-Day it was pink overload. Pink hats, pink shirts, pink boas, pink … everything. Susan G Koman is an organization that I have historically donated to anyway and pink is their signature color. So after the walk, I just embraced the pink.

I work with a bunch of guys. I mean, I am the only female in the entire engineering department. When you factor in the manufacturing group – the ratio of men to women is crazy high. Normally this is not a big deal, but working with that many guys means that you have to deal with some guy issues.

The main one the bugs me is the – “If I see something that I need, I’ll just grab it off someone’s desk and abscond it”.

It is not malicious, but guys tend to be forgetful. They grab something because they need it “at that moment” and then later on they don’t remember where they got it from. At Qualcomm I had a label maker so I labeled everything. My ruler, my stapler, my scissors, my tape dispenser…. People laughed at me, but I always got my stuff back.

Now I don’t have a label maker, but I have some stuff that I have to have in order to just go to the bathroom and my normal colored stuff kept walking off. Like safety glasses and a hard hat (lots of construction). Not to mention having an open desk crammed in a single-wide trailer with my “stuff” sitting out for grabbing.

So, I have again embraced the pink. I am now the proud owner of pink & purple safety glasses (shiny pink too from Amazon), a pink hardhat and now… pink scissors. My last pair of scissors walked off last week and I intentionally found this breast cancer pair. Still waiting to see if I need to find a pink tape dispenser and stapler.
Trust me, my stuff won’t be taken any longer.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

Having pink items are a perfect way to spot them to whomever is "sticking fingers." I know that I can become sticking fingers, but I have learned to bring it back over the years. :-)

J Fife said...

Love this. And silly boys for taking your stuff.