Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bye Bailey

We lost our dog today.

I still can't believe it. She seemed ok when I left this morning. But luckily Bob saw that she seemed out of breath and her gums looked white so he rushed her to the vet.

The vet had done an ultrasound and determined that her spleen was bleeding, probably from a tumor. Evidently they are very common for German Shephards when they reach middle age. We adopted Bailey when we "think" she was about a year and a half in 2002, so her estimated age was 9.

Since she had no other health issues, Bob gave him the go ahead to remove her spleen. Dogs can live without them with no ill effects. However, when they were putting her under she went into cardiac arrest and passed away.

Total shock.

Some people don't understand how animals can become part of your family. Bailey was a definate part of our family. When Bob was living in Oregon and I was still in San Diego for those two years, Bailey was with him. If the kids were playing downstairs and I was in the kitchen, I knew that they were fine because Bailey was down there to protect them. Bob would take Bailey out to the property and walk around or take her with him when he rode dirtbikes. That dog could run and run and run and run. Her endurance and energy seemed endless.

Her patience with the toddlers was endless. She stood there and let them hug her, pat her back or brush her. She followed them around to make sure they were safe. Although, sometimes it was from a safe distance.

I even put her name at the bottom of every Christmas card that we sent.

Bob is torn up. I haven't stopped crying for two hours and I am trying to somehow let the kids know that Bailey isn't coming home. She is in heaven. Hopefully hanging out with my other beloved animals; Shen, Phuff and Bandit. I still have to tell Katya. She will be everybit as heartbroken.

Goodbye Bailey. We loved you. We will always miss you. Thank you for being such a wonderful and loyal friend. I am so sorry I didn't get to say goodbye.

3 comments:

Mandee said...

I am crying for you. I am so sorry Deby- after having Stella a part of our family for a short time, I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys. And so unexpected. I wish I were there to give you a big hug! Love you.

J Fife said...

Oh, Deby. This is just so terrible. Dogs truly become a part of the family. My dogs are slowing down, and I'm bracing for the day that I have to tell them goodbye. Hugs and love to all.

Laura and the family said...

Awwww, sometimes life is not fair. But we know that God had given you the best memories of Bailey. She was an excellent dog. Hugs to you all.