Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gymnastics

When Alexis turned three I was absolutely thrilled!! Why? Because then I could sign her up for a class and I did not have to participate with her. Kinda hard to do when I have Logan sitting in the wings waiting stuck in a stroller.

I had done a gymnastics class with Alexis when Logan was first born. I stuck him in his carrier in eyesight of where I was and ran around the gym with Alexis attempting to get her to do what the teacher wanted. It was an exhausing battle of wills. I only survived two classes.

So, two weeks ago we started gymnastics for a second try.

We got to the class and she was so excited. She looked darling in her little pink outfit that she picked out last summer. (We were at a mall in San Diego and she spotted this outfit when we walked by, she ran in before I could stop her and she promptly started stripping her clothes off to put it on. How could I say no with that level of "love at first sight"?) She jumped around and as soon as everyone walked into the gym - she turned and held onto my leg. ????

Didn't expect that.

I had to spend the whole class with her encouraging her to sit on the carpet square, do the jumps, listen to the teacher... it was a long class. Poor Logan had to sit in a stroller watching all the fun. Then something magical happened about ten minutes before the class ended. She didn't need me anymore so I snuck back to the parent area.

Her second class was yesterday and I was hopeful that it would go better than the first. She rocked it!! She had some initial hesitation, but there was a pink carpet square waiting for her to do her stretches on and she couldn't resist. I mean, it was PINK. She kept an eye on me for the first fifteen minutes, but after that she pretty much listened to the teacher. I was so relieved!

Actually listened is not exactly correct... more like heard what he wanted her to do and then when he wasn't watching she would do it. She bounced on the trampoline, jumped into the foam pit, did oodles of somersaults, hung by the rings.... she is gumby girl.

I was so proud of her.

After the class he gave everyone a hand stamp with a purple star AND a smiley face. She couldn't have been any happier.

Yeah for gymnastics!!! I can put Logan in with her when he is 30 months, which is this summer.

1 comment:

J Fife said...

Love the outfit! And the story about the outfit... and the happy gymnastic class ending.