Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is coming up remarkably soon and my family is all going to San Diego for the dinner of all dinners.

That leaves me here in Bend with the few family members that Bob has that are staying in town. I guess I'm doing the cooking.

I am used to doing the pies, the cranberry sauce, jello salad and veggie. I've never done the whole thing before. With one oven.

All Recipes.com has been an awesome find for me and I am cruising for yummy recipes that I can make for turkey day. I plan on doing:
* a turkey in a bag (that is the only way I know how to do it)
* try some "Make Ahead Gravy"
* cranberry sausage stuffing (not cooked in the turkey for once)
* mashed potatoes
* candied sweet potatoes (for me)
* some kind of veggie
* pumpkin pie & apple pie

How I'll do all this, I have no idea. However, if you are a seasoned T-Day cook I could sure use some advice on how to pull this off. Also, if you have any amazingly fabulous recipes that you are willing to share - I'd love them.

If you are a fellow Bendian, you are welcome to come over and share with us. Dinner will be followed by a viewing of my favorite holiday movie "Scrooged". It'll be a good time.

7 comments:

Cathy/Grandma/Mom said...

Make the mashed potatoes ahead of time, then just zap them.
Do you have the recipe for dressing ???
Yams can be cooked (boil them so they stay moist), peel, slice, put 'um in a pan. When you are ready bake with butter (lots) and brown sugar.
Make your roux, butter and flour, save it and when the giblets(save the water) and turkey are cooked it will only take a few minutes on the stove top for real gravy. Add a little "Kitchen Bouquet" for flavor and color.
Kisses, Mommy

Laura and the family said...

Boy, you are catching your Blog up. I need to do that, too.

One thing I know I like when someone added "Cream Cheese" in Mashed Potatoes. It makes more creamer. You can always make one bowl with and without cream cheese.

Jen F said...

I hosted Thanksgiving for a crowd last year. I also have only one oven. One word of advice for you: organization.

Figure out what you can make ahead, if possible. Then make a schedule for when everything on T-day needs to happen. (I made mine by working backwards from dinner time.) Clip copies of the recipes you will be using to the schedule too.

It sounds dorky, and my husband laughed at me a lot, but it really helped me get through the day without forgetting anything.

J Fife said...

Oh my gosh, Deby. I'm in the same boat here. Mike's entire family (8 adults, 2 kids) is headed here from Texas. I can handle the turkey and some of the sides. It's the pies, gravy, and one oven that have me a little worried. Plus, all of the chopping. I hate chopping.

I'm thinking of starting dinner off with cocktail hours (yes, hours - several). Alcohol induced amnesia should cure any cooking snags I run into. No one will remember a thing!

Anonymous said...

Last year I did the turkey on the grill - seems like I used a pan of water underneath to catch drippings and also make the heat more indirect. Turned out fantastic AND kept the oven open for other things.
good luck!
josh

Unknown said...

I always make my gravy a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and freeze it flat in a gallon ziploc. There would be a mutiny if I didn't make green bean casserole, so I usually assemble it the day before and put it in the oven as soon as the turkey comes out, and I toss the rolls in to warm at the same time. This year is the first time in over a decade I think that I am not in charge of Thanksgiving. I'm kinda looking forward to not have my entire stove covered with every pot I own.

Deby said...

Wow! Thanks for all the awesome advice.

I am totally planning on figuring what I can make ahead of time, what could potentially be "crock potted", and how to fit making the pies into the day so we can still have some for breakfast.

Oh yeah, and enjoying the day too.