Saturday, November 22, 2008

Christmas on the Brain

I know that Thanksgiving isn't until Thursday, but I can't help thinking about Christmas!

There is so much family that is coming up here for the holidays and I really would love for them all to have a wonderful time while they are here. I'm trying to make sure that I do what I can to make sure everyone feels loved, busy and full.

In preparation we bought a new futon mattress for the "Lounge". An 8" innerspring one, it feels awesome! We are keeping the old one for one of the boys to sleep on while they are here. I only need another twin mattress and we will be all set for sleeping arrangements for my brother and his family. I will be putting them in the Lounge and I am sure they will be most comfy with the TV, DVD player, puzzles, crayons and other craft supplies and desk space. Then there is the "Art Room" that is clean and ready for occupation. It has the foos ball game thing in there as well as lots of floor space for my spunky nephews to utilize with their gifts. After all, everyone needs their space to run to when they have had enough visiting.

I have been giving the menu planning a lot of thought and I am planning on lots of crock pot meals since I will be insanely busy. But it all has to be yummy.

Then there are activities. I will have to work two full days while they are here, but I figured that they could go tubing at Mt. Bachelor one day and I am open for suggestions for the other day. One day we will stay home and bake and decorate sugar cookies. We will have to find some snow to play in at least one day, maybe two. Then there is the High Desert Museum with their bug exhibit. What little boy doesn't like bugs? One day we could hit the Family Fun Center and maybe Bouncing Off the Walls. Anyone else have some ideas? I'm thinking just one outing a day to keep people from becoming fried and to keep costs down.

I put up my Christmas lights on the house today. Tomorrow I'll pull out our little light up deer. I just love twinkle lights! After Thanksgiving we're going to the forest to cut down our tree and get it all decorated. Now all I need is snow and lots of it. Keep your fingers crossed that they get a white Christmas.

5 comments:

Mandee said...

Praying for snow for the both of us! We'll have to try Christmas in Bend sometime! Have fun together!

Laura and the family said...

How sweet of you! We will be bringing a queen air mattress. Don't worry about a thing. We can find our ways to have fun along with you and your family.

J Fife said...

Deby, you are so busy. I don't have any great activities for you. I'm struggling for ideas myself. I'm thinking we might take an easy hike along the river trail or up to Tumalo Falls. I'd like to add ice skating and skiing to the list, but I don't think the weather is going to allow that. Hmmm... I'll let you know if I come up with some more ideas.

Little Things said...

Definitely the High Desert Museum. That's really a can't miss experience. Movies are always good, and if you're lucky, there will be horse & carriage rides available at the Old Mill, which are fun.

My mother in law is coming here for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to that. But one guest is much easier than many!

Heather said...

We put up our lights yesterday, too. We had neighbors thinking we were crazy. We just told them this might be the only chance we get, so we're taking it! They thought we were just trying to out-do everyone else. We aren't going to turn them on until after Thanksgiving though. It just doesn't seem right!