Thursday, November 6, 2008

*New* Recipe Thursday

I have lots of people coming up to Bend for the holidays and I can't wait. Over the past year I have collected some wonderful dinner recipes for feeding my family, which I will use next month.

But really, my favorite meal of the day is breakfast.

I would gladly forgoe any fancy dinner in exchange for a plate of biscuits and country sausage gravy for breakfast. Or pastries. Or a hobo scramble with lots of bacon.

So, with six people decending on my house for the best and most important meal of the day I have been researching breakfast recipes. Both warm and just muffins. My family are always willing guinnea pigs.

I thought I would share my new favorite recipes and if you have one or two that you love, please share.

Amish Breakfast Casserole

1 pound breakfast sausage
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded swiss cheese

1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until sausage is cooked through; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13x9x2 baking dish.

2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

It looks YUMMY!!!!

J Fife said...

Thanks. I will definitely be using this over the holidays. I don't know if your family is into oatmeal, but I'm planning on serving crockpot oatmeal one morning. It's easy, warm and tasty.

Overnight Oatmeal

Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups steel cut oats (*Note: regular oats will not work)
6 to 8 cups water
¼ tsp salt or to taste
Additions—see below

The rule of thumb here is to use 6 cups of water if it will cook for less than 8 hours, and use 8 cups of water if it will cook for more than 8 hours.

Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

Combine water, oats, additions and salt in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Cover, cook on the lowest setting overnight, and serve in the morning.
Serves 8

Additions to mix and match
Fresh or frozen fruit: as much as you want to add. Bananas make it extra creamy. Try pumpkin puree for a change of pace.
Dried fruit about 2/3 cup total of: cherries, cranberries, raisins, dates, figs, you name it.
Nuts: if you add these before cooking, they get soft—stir them after cooking if you prefer more crunch. You can also add nut butter.
Sweeteners: Honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, or your favorite natural sweetener.
Seasoning: Vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom.