Thursday, January 22, 2009

Think Hope - Not Hate

Our country is in such turmoil right now. People are losing their jobs left and right. People can't afford their mortgages and so many are losing their homes. We are in two wars. Our schools are out of money and some are closing. The cost of gas may be half of what it was over the summer, but food prices are still high. Medical costs consume so much of our money that even with insurance, our 20% equals hundreds of dollars a month.

The world economy is on fragile ground. The effects of global warming are evident even to those that don't believe in the science. Natural disasters are commonplace every year with flooding, tornados and hurricanes. Extremes of nature bring all kinds of problems from long periods of sub-freezing temps to long extremes of hot weather in the 90's and above. People get sick from both and trying to afford to keep you house comfy costs money too.

So now we have a new President. Because of the election, it seemed like not a whole lot was done to try and fix what was broken because of the new faces that were going to take office. Everyone was waiting to see what personalities and opinions would be pushing policies through. I'm not just talking about the presidential office, I mean governors, senators and representatives.

The pomp and ceremony of the Inaguration is over. The realities of a new face of this nation is real. It is a nice side benefit that he happens to be black. Or kind of black or whatever - the dude ain't white and it's cool with me. I like his agenda for this country. I have spent a lot of time reading whitehouse.gov and I hope that his team can move us forward to a better place. The hope that people have is great, even knowing any change will take time.

Then I read that Rush Limbagh is spouting his rhetoric of hate. He actually said that he hopes Obama fails. What?? He is letting his partisan POLITICS take priority over the good of the NATION. He wants the whole country to continue on its downward spiral just to feel better about a Democrat being elected? Give me a break.

I didn't vote for Bush and I sure didn't like his agenda. But he was the President and I hoped that he would make good decisions for the country. That the country would be better because he took office. I never hoped that he would fail. Why would I when his decisions would eventually impact my life? He fails, I fail.

The same goes with Obama. If he fails... the country fails. And in some ways so does the world.

So, I can only hope that people out there who harbor great hatred towards Obama because he is a Democrat or because he is a person of mixed race/African American/whatever - think about the bigger picture. You may not like him and I'm not asking you to. I never liked Bush myself.

But I am asking you to think hope and not hate. Think that you hope he makes decisions you like. Hope that his decisions help to bring back jobs to your city, affordable housing to your area, respect of the US to the rest of the world, stability to your bank, money to your kids schools and brings your military family home.

Get involved. You have the opportunity to speak your mind through the change.org website. Let your voice get heard. State your opinion. We don't all agree and that is a great benefit not a disadvantage. You can't move forward as a person or a country without people challenging your ideas. It makes you think, educate and re-evaluate.

I for one have great hope for this country to pull ourselves up, dust ourselves off and put things back together ... only better.

3 comments:

Mandee said...

I actually saw that interview with Rush where he said he hopes Obama fails- and then explained that he doesn't agree with his policies or agendas. So if Obama is successful, then it means that his policies and agendas were successful.

I agree to some extent. I hope he fails to sign the Freedom of Choice Act. I hope he fails to grow government. I hope he fails to "socialize" America, and rewrite The Declaration of Independance.

However, I hope he is successful in protecting us from terror attacks. Although, I don't think closing Guantanamo Bay and bringing the bad guys to the USA will help.

I hope he is successful in turning around the economy- although he should probably choose a different Sect. of Treasury. And tell Barney Frank not to give mortgages to people who can't afford them in the first place.

A friend of mine posted this quote Tuesday on her blog-

"So this is how liberty dies...
With thunderous applause"
- Padme, Star Wars III

and I can't help but wonder if it's true in our case. But know that I am HOPING and PRAYING for the best of Obama. And that his policies that I hate- fail.

And in Rush's defense, he also said that if Obama behaves more like Reagan than FDR, he will consider the new president a success.

And lastly- I LOVE LOVE LOVE you!

Deby said...

You know, I totally agree with you on the whole mortgage thing. I saw people who had no freakin' hope in the world of affording a $2000 a month mortgage payment, get a loan. People with interest only loans or home loans with no proof of income. That was so wrong. I saw that crash coming from a mile away.

I think that Bush did his best with the war on terror. I really do. I don't agree with the torture at all. However, if someone is proven to be a terrorist - kill them. No sitting for years with appeal after appeal. Just get it over with and move on. I also think that he had the best of intentions with "No Child Left Behind", but that was something that was better in theory than in practice.

The thing with policies is that they don't work forever for any president or for this country. That isn't the way we are hardwired as a people. We vascilate from conservative gun-toting folks, to liberal save the planet folks and back again depending on events in the world. I was one of Reagan's biggest fans.

I hope that his policies work for the next four years. The world changed and so we had to change with it. I don't think that McCain would have been a bad president had he won. He is an honorable man. I'm hoping he can do good things in the Senate.

The whole economy thing is going to take more than just the Secretary of Treasury. It will have to be a whole different mode of thinking. Living in a deficit and working with other countries in a debt mode is just not working. It was a house of cards waiting to fall. It is borrowing from Bill to pay Todd and we were doing it long before Bush or Clinton. Not a good idea and one that isn't going to change any time soon.

I don't think that Obama will socialize America. I do understand the desire to do something about health care. It is outrageously expensive, most American's don't have it and those that don't cost our hospitals millions every year by them not paying a dime. It is a hard dynamic and one that should be looked at by a lot of people that hopefully have a history in medicine and not pharmaceutical company money. Huge problem, no idea what the solution should be.

As for growing government, I think we grew it enough under Bush. People should be redirected and task forces that have outlived their usefullness should go away and current ones brought into their place. We have enough players in the game. They just need to hit new targets.

I like the fact that you have opposing views. It makes me think. :)

I love you too!!

Anonymous said...

Well....You know how bad the Bush team has failure to live their promise in many ways. He has lacked of prove find the facts in Iraq, made his OWN decision without someone to consultant him, Lack of success in business, spend BILLIONS of Dollar waste on wars for not find any weapon of mass. as what he said to public, some of his most loyal staffs does real dirty work that got caught and went to jail for him, does not keep his promise to work on bipartisan people on his first day of his office in white house, etc... there is so much lists I would say this.

But we know Bush is now one of the most UNPOPULAR President in our time dues to too many reasons how american people has been affect a lot.

Yes, I really wish that Hillary Clint is our new president but failure dues to the budget that has been broken and has to stop running against Obama for elect.

Um..We know Obama is still rookie and has no experience background with high levels in Washington D.C. for more than three years.

So...from what I understand about Obama's experience which he grew up in between poor to middle class. He went to study for being lawyer, then got vote to be next senator of Illinois for few years. Then start go way up to the top. See that web site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

I am impressed with his strong willing to focus on our community than do with military dues to change the way we do now.

I hope Obama would do his best to save our sink county and turn to new direct for better. I really want to get those wealthy people out of those dirty political that caused so much damaged to us in american.

Let's pray that he may be answer what we are look for .