Friday, January 16, 2009

Angels That Watch Over Me

Here is a big shout out to thank those angels that watch over me every day and have since I was a little girl.

I KNOW I have angels. They have protected me from great harm, they have helped me to make those decisions that can change your future for better or worse, they have made sure that I always arrive home safely and have protected me from those that would do me harm.

This fact is constantly brought up again and again when I have car problems. Last night, I pulled into my garage and all of a sudden steam started pouring out from under the hood and I heard coolant pouring onto the garage floor. Luckily, Bob was able to easily fix it with a new hose clamp and some new coolant. But it brought the fact home again just how lucky I am to have those angels. My car has never broken down when I was not a) home or b) with Bob who could fix it. Those odds just don't exist without divine intervention.

Who are my angels? I am not sure exactly, but I can venture a few guesses.

Grandpa Harold: He is my step-father's father who passed away when I was in college. We clicked upon meeting the first time and we loved spending time together. He taught me how to use a computer when I was in high school and computers were a rare thing instead of the standard. He taught me WordStar (the original word processing program) and how to program in Basic. He teased me when I got my drivers license and he drove all the way to New York to meet me at the airport when I got back from Belgium. He had no teeth, but loved to eat steak. He was a hoot. I loved him as if he was my grandfather from birth. I miss him so much and am so bummed that he never had a chance to meet my kids or be a part of my adult life.

Grandpa McClellan: My paternal grandfather who passed away a few years ago. Great man who lived an amazing life. Flew bombers in WWII and Korea, was a motorcycle cop in Long Beach, a private pilot flying charters to Catalina Island, and drove that old RV of his all over the US with my Grandma McClellan. He was quiet, but I know he loved me. If I ever needed anything I knew that he would be there for me.

Uncle Richard: My uncle died about five years ago and his death has left everyone in our family with a deep sense of loss. He was a playful, funny man with a crazy sense of fashion (Donald Duck hats and Yosemite Sam shirts) and a deep love of family.

Aunt Georgie: She was my aunt from when I was a little girl. She passed when I was five or six years old, but I have never forgotten about her. She was a powerful personality with an outspoken direct manner and a playful side.

I am just guessing at who is up there watching over me. It could be family from long ago that I never really got to know like my great grandparents. Whomever it is, I appreciate so much their help and their always making sure that if something breaks on my car, it does so in my garage. If my kids hurt themselves, it isn't serious and we are always RIGHT there, if I am faced with a big choice I usually make the right one and for that little voice that tells me what is going to happen about five minutes before it does. I have to listen to that little voice more often to make my life a bit easier.

To my angels - thanks for the help! Someday when my time comes, I promise to pass it on.

2 comments:

Laura and the family said...

I once had an angel tapping my shoulder to look out for my kids on one night. There were other occasions in my life time.

That is something we all should remind and be grateful for ourselves when we were being protected. Thus, I believe there are many more angels to watch over you than you realize.

Mandee said...

I love this post. And I love hearing stories that remind me we are not alone in our life.

I need more family history from Richard's side... pictures, stories, anything. Would he have that kind of stuff?