Friday, February 26, 2010

To Booster Or Not To Booster

Alexis is now four years old. Dang! It seriously was just yesterday when she was born, wasn’t it?

My little firecracker has been growing like a little weed and now I am left with a dilemma: is it time for a booster seat?

When she outgrew her infant seat we bought a Britax carseat (4 actually, 2 per car). Hers has a cool pink cover with flowers and it is super soft to lay her face on when sleeping. It has been awesome. When it is locked into my truck the top is secured to the headrest and the bottom is secured to the car. That puppy ain’t going anywhere. But, she is getting taller and now I am wondering that even though the carseat goes to 60 pounds, should she be moving to a booster seat for the height?

Being neurotic like I am, I found a cool one that was not only recommended by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety as a “Best Bet” but is pink. I personally like Alexis having a girlie seat, it suits her personality and my love for a splash of flair. It is called the Maxi-Cosi Rodi XR and looks pretty cool. The reviews that I have read on it are pretty good too. Granted the other best one on the market is made by Recaro, but it is $350 and only comes in tan and black. Yulk. I’ll probably end up getting those for Bob’s truck and pay for them by selling the other carseats. He was really impressed with the Recaro one when he saw it in someone else’s car.

I have seen several of the “Good Bet” carseats at Target for only $50. Part of me wants to just go with one of those, but the other part is thinking that if they have to stay in a booster seat until they are 8 years old and 4’9”, the booster should be nice, safe and comfy.

Or am I being neurotic?

It was much easier when Katya was little. The rules were not as strict and I was so poor I was happy that I could afford anything at Target for what looked like a good carseat and booster seat.

So, does anyone has comments, suggestions or experiences that they would be willing to share. I’m kinda in a dilemma here.

2 comments:

Mandee said...

I am jealous that you have the Britax. We always went with the Cosco car seats, and the straps always got all twisted up and it was always so difficult to buckle the kids in.

The pink is cute- and I say if you really want the Recaro, then get both and hopefully recoup come of the cost when you sell your Britax.

As for us, we went with Graco boosters since our kids thrash everything. Within minutes of Jack getting his, he found a pink sharpie in the car (I have NO IDEA why it was in there) and drew all over the back of his seat. Unbelievable.

Good luck!

Laura and the family said...

I prefer to have a booster even at four year old because it is a lot easier for them to have their head on hold when they fall asleep.

Mandee, I know how it feels to have a mess on a car seat! I have kids putting their food inside the car seat!

Now, I am going through the phrase without a booster and a car seat!

Good luck!