Thursday, February 25, 2010

How Starbucks Saved My Life

Before Christmas I was walking through Barnes and Noble looking at books and writing down titles I wanted to check out from the library (I’m bad that way). On one of the center tables I remember picking up this small green and tan book called “How Starbucks Saved My Life”. I remember thinking what a silly title and I put it down and moved on.

Right before Christmas with the cleaning rush before guests come over to stay I stumbled upon a few boxes of books that my wonderful cousin, Beth, had sent up with me at Thanksgiving when driving home. We are a hard core reading family and we often route books around to other family members to share the love. In this box was that little green and tan book. I figured it was ironic and that I would have to read it now.

Last weekend I was doing some cleaning and thinning out of our “stuff” and I stumbled upon that little book again sitting so lonely on the bookshelf. I was wanting something to read and it seemed like it would take no time at all. It didn’t. It turns out that it was a pretty decent book. Granted, it is written from the perspective of a white, 63 year old man who was raised in privilege in the East Coast. I know that the East Coast has a different way of thinking so I just had to go with him on why he thought the way he did.

In a nutshell, it is the story of a man who had lost his way in life (you’ll have to read it for the details) and then through a chance encounter at a Starbucks Job Fair applied for and got a job at a local Starbucks. Through his time at Starbucks he really learns to live the Starbucks (and his amazing manager) company culture and it helps him become a better man. A happy man who feels more fulfilled in life.

Most of all, I really liked his “3 L’s” so much that I thought I’d share an abbreviated version of them:

1. Leap … with faith: Leap with faith rather than huddle in fear.


2. Look … with respect: Learn to look and see everyone in your day as a welcome guest to be treated with respect.


3. Listen … to your heart to find true happiness: Trusting your own heart is your greatest path to real happiness. Everyone is given a unique path to happiness that is special for each person – we just have to listen to our hearts.

No comments: