Monday, December 3, 2007

Leftie, Rightie or Bothie


I have never given much thought before to which hand is my dominate. I know that there are oodles of studies saying that certain traits are more dominant in right handed people and other traits are most dominant in left handed people.

For example, seven of our US Presidents were left handed. In fact, we had three left handed Presidents in a row.

I am a right handed person. I mean, TOTALLY a right handed person. The only thing I can do well with my left hand is type. Katya is a complete right handed person, as is Bob. No biggie.

Well, when watching my kids I have noticed some interesting things. Actually, it was my brother that really got me to notice some things. (He commented on a video that I posted of Logan clapping) I do believe that Logan might be a leftie. His cousin, Dylan, is a leftie. Dylan is a brilliant little dude so being a leftie must be pretty good. Bob's sister, Patti, is also a leftie. I wonder how much of that could be genetic?

However, I have been watching Alexis for a good year now trying to notice her dominate hand and she doesn't have one. She uses both hands equally. For everything. She can eat with a spoon with both hands. She can color with both hands. When using the chalk board she will write with one hand and erase with the other .

Ambidexterity is evidently very rare at birth. I have never even heard of a person that was truely ambidexterous. But upon reading about it on Wikipedia, she might become an awesome athlete. I guess some of the best players in the world from baseball to tennis to basketball were ambidexterous. Can you say college scholarship?

I wonder if she will remain using both hands through elementary school or if she might decide she likes using one hand over the other for things.

Either way, both my kids seem to be blazing their own trails through life even though they are both somewhat new to the world. I look forward to watching their lives unfold.

1 comment:

Laura and the family said...

It was ME, who noticed a little darling boy, Logan might be a leftie! I forgive you for thinking it was from your brother while I was using his website (Winks, no hard feeling)

Actually, Dylan is a fifth person on my side of the family who is also left handed. Literally speaking of left hand, it usually occurs more boys than girls.

Maybe Logan will be the next President of the U.S. while Dylan will be his defense lawyer (usually find a way for a debate.)

Did you know that I am ambidexterity? Not a true ambidexterity but can write on both hands, open jars and throw balls. I believe it is correct that ambidexterity usually involved in sports because I was very much involved in sports. So lets see about Alexis when she gets older.