Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy Belated Birthday, Katya

Things were so crazy with guests coming into town, I neglected my blog and in turn - neglected to shine the spotlight on my eldest child. My beautiful, smart, creative, funny, athletic, not so little girl.
She turned 14!

Katya was my surprise baby. I was 23 and was kind of floating through life without a real sense of direction. I look back now and realize how much of a little kid I really was. Having Katya was absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me. I kind of felt that it was just the two of us through life since her father and I split when she was just over a year old. I was always her mother, but there was nobody that I would rather go on a trip with or spend the day with.

We have gone through a lot together. I did the single parent gig for many, many years and she was a good sport about not being able to do soccer or so many other after school activities because I didn't get home until 6pm. We went from sharing a bedroom in my brother's condo to buying a townhome together to forming a new family with Bob and moving to Oregon. Throw two little siblings into that and you have some serious change for her over the last three years.

I think we have weathered the storms well and came out of them closer than before. She continues to amaze me with how wonderful she is. She is smart and has continually kept up her straight-A's. She is an avid reader and we often share books. When she picks out a book for me I always love it. She has unleashed her inner athlete and blossomed with volleyball, basketball, lacrosse, track & field and snowboarding. She likes to cook and when she does go in the kitchen makes yummy stuff like home made fish sticks or lasagna. She is creative and that shows in her drawings, overly dramatic essays for school (tissues please), earrings that she makes, and random poetry that just pops out of her from time to time. She loves music, the arts and museums. She loves to learn and finds life to be a grand adventure. She banters with my mother about mythology and historical landmarks. Her sense of humor is very dry with a dash of sarcasm thrown in. Kind of like my mother. She is a great traveler making the most of wherever she is and not complaining about the discomfort that usually is involved to get there. She is a great big sister and has been known to change a diaper or two. She seems to be a good friend and is always willing to lend a shoulder to cry on.

She is awesome. I love her. I adore her. I can't believe that I made her.

I look forward to watching her go through life. I want her to know that I will always be there in case she falls.

My love is unconditional and endless.

Happy Belated Birthday, Squirt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the coolest person ever! everyone should comment on her cause shes amazing and everyone should love her

Elise Michaels Media said...

She is so lucky to have you for a mother! It sounds like you two are quite a team. Congrats to you for raising such a wonderful girl and happy birthday to her!

Laura and the family said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday to my beautiful niece, Katya! Glad you got the gifts you got from us!

It was great seeing you for a few hours on the 30th!

Not just you are lucky, she is also lucky to have us as a family as well!

Mandee said...

Happy Birthday Katya! I hope you had a great day! Love you!